Shocking & Polyquat 60

In terms of closing my poll in CT - what are the guidelines for adding Polyquat 60 and bringing the water up to shock level?? I can't do both at the same time can I?

I have been closing late and opening early and have not used polyquat. My method is to put my cover on when the leaves start to fall, run the pump an hour a day, keep my FC at proper level. When the water temp is constantly in the 50's then shock, blow lines and pull pump. Reverse that in the spring and my water always opens clear.

If you do decide to use the Poly-60, you'll want to do as noted on the TFP Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool page. You'll want to increase to SLAM shock level first for a good 24 hours in hopes of neutralizing any residual organics before closing. Once that's done, you can let the FC drop closer to normal then add the Poly-60. If you add the Poly first then increase FC, the additional chlorine will just oxidize the Poly-60. So increase to SLAM/shock level for a good day or so if needed to ensure there is NO algae present, then let the FC begins to drift back down to normal and add the Poly-60. Of course make sure the cold season and colder water temps are here for good before starting the process. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.