Main Drain stopped up

Sep 12, 2016
Clearwater FL
Main drain had debris inside under the cover. Removed cover and say nothing other than small particles of dirt, leaves etc. My pump has two inlets one from the skimmer and one from the vacuum port. Therefore I do not know how the MD is plumbed into the system. I can turn the valve completely to open for the skimmer and it works fine. I can turn the valve to the vacuum port side and as long as I have the port open it works fine. NO Suction comes from the MD and it appears the pipe to it is smaller than the others because when I tried to put a garden hose in it barley fit. How do I unplug the MD. Any ideas will help, Thank You

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like your main drain, if plumbed and operable, may be plumbed into your skimmer. Look in your skimmer to see if you have two holes in the bottom. You might also see a "diverter" - a saucer-shaped item that can be positioned to adjust how much water goes to each hole (skimmer or MD). Hope that helps. Nice to have you with us.

IMG_0747.jpgIMG_0750.jpg Here is a picture of the Skimmer, the pool drain that I took the cover off and found the debris and if I prop open the side vacuum port the pump works correctly. I have no idea if the MD was intentionally closed somewhere or how to try and open it if stopped up. Thanks for any ideas or assistance :snorkle:

Well I tried using a bladder from the pump to skimmer and t vacuum port all was clear. Tried a15 ' snake from MD and It went the full length without touching anything. Will have to let it go and just use a auto pool cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.