salt cell reading high amperage

jmpark

Sep 14, 2016
Dunedin, Fl
my salt water pool is 10 years old. We have replaced the salt cell at least once and several other parts. I just learned that my pool company has been adding chlorine only to my pool for at least several months now, no salt. After I asked, bc my sons eyes swelled shut after swimming one evening (it had been 5 days since the pool guy was here), they told me this and that the salt cell must not be working. Now it says "high amperage". I've trusted them for so long to completely take care of my pool and now I don't know what's going on and don't want to pay for costly repairs again.

Welcome Jim, glad you found us!

I won't speculate on your son's eye, and let your Doctor handle that one. I sincerely don't believe Chlorine was the cause, but best wishes regarding his health.

I think your pool co. should have told you they had to add the Chlorine since your Salt cell wasn't making any. Once in 10 years, you are likely due for another cell replacement. If you dont wish to spend the money, you could manually add or automate some type of liquid Chlorine feed.

My chlorine level was reading 5 three days after my kids went swimming, 8 days after the pool guy dropped 2 chlorine tabs in the skimmer and dumped a jug of chlorine in the pool, not to mention the 10 total inches of rain we received last week! Problem is they were adding chlorine instead of salt, so my cell couldn't produce chlorine. It it simple enough to replace the cell without hiring a company to do it? Also, is there a brand you recommend?
Thanks!

Does the cell still say high amperage? That is due to an excess of salt not too little salt. Have you tested the salt level?

There are two things going on here:

The SWG - might be working, might not. It's getting old for sure. I'd put it on 100% or Super chlorinate and then take a chlorine sample right from the water inlet and test it.
The Pool Guy - he works for you and to bypass your SWG without telling you is out of bounds and bad business.

You should get a salt test.

The word "low" tells us nothing. Please post the actual values.

But if you have low CYA, that could be the issue because the SWG cannot keep up with UV extinction. CYA for an SWG should be at least 60 ppm and preferably 80 ppm.

My salt level is reading 2140ppm;
Is that from the SWG or a standalone test kit?

The high amps could be due to the pool guy pouring liquid chlorine into the skimmer.

The Hayward salt system displays the salt level, based on the operating condition of the cell. If it's old (probably your situation), scaled, or cold water conditions exist, it will display a lower than actual salt level.
High Amperage, as was mentioned, may be an actual high salt level or hot water temperatures. Have your water tested for parts per million of salt. Also, do you have a heater, that may be recently turned on and flowing through the cell? Try turning off the heater and see if that makes a difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.