So Cal (Whittier) pool remodel

Mar 29, 2012
Whittier, Ca
So we finally broke ground this weekend and the backyard is a mess. We drained just after labor day and my paver contractor broke up the deck and about half of the coping in 1 day.

Work scheduled to be done/installed:

Pool:
Stonescape Pebble finish
Hayward LED colorlogic light
New tile (waterline/trim/mosaic)

Equipment to be installed:
Aquarite salt system
Hayward 400,000 BTU Heater
New equipment pad
Tristar pump

Plumbing:
Skimmer, auto cleaner line, 3 return lines, main drain split, auto-fill water leveling w/ overflow baffle, backwash line to sewer
Gas line for fire pit.

Structural:
80 sq ft Baja bench
7' high rock waterfall/mini grotto/slide
Benches in corners of deep end
Fire pit to match rock waterfall/slide

Deck:
1,365 sq ft Belgard "La Fit Grani Slab" pavers with drainage
Belgard pool coping

Below are some pictures for some show and tell. I already started losing sleep when the demo didn't go as smoothly as I'd had hoped.

Our pool (view from the steps)

View from the diving board.

Shallow end view.

Current pool equipment.

Drained! (It took about 18 hours to drain)

Pool drained part 2

Almost in the deep end.

Our pool contractor suggested we have some fun with our drained pool...so we did some coloring.

Deck demolished! Partial coping demoed.

Fence section removed for Bobcat.

Anyone need a used diving board?

Deck demo 2

Electrical was just under the deck, we'll have to run new lines.

Plaster was removed 9/12

So these guys are working faster than I can upload pictures. Ok, not really but they are working pretty fast.

Here are some updates:

Rebar framing for the rock waterfall/slide was put in.

Baja bench rebar installed

Corner bench/step framing installed

Gas line for fire pit and plumbing

New Skimmer installed

Plumbing galore!

Waterfall intake/pool return line.

Electrical rounding the sewer line, backwash line in place.

Long return runs.

Return line with reducers.

Future home of the equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gunite was shot last Friday , it's starting to really look like something now! They had 2 trucks of cement and we were still a little short, they're mixing the rest by hand. They had enough for the baja bench and the main structure of the rock/waterfall, I just didn't take finished pictures.

Rock/Slide form just before gunite.

Baja bench

Rock/Slide taking shape

They started "finishing" the rock/slide yesterday and today with thoroseal, it's starting to look a lot nicer now. I hope to take some more pictures when I get home if it's not too dark.

My paver guy is starting work today on the deck drainage, retaining wall stucco, and coping.

So I'm a little behind the actual work but here's what I have pictures of for now.

Coping installed, looking at baja bench.

Finishing work being done to waterfall.

Retaining wall stuccoed

Amazing craftsmanship on the railing to look like deadwood.

Equipment pad poured.

Fire pit started.

NO way on the railing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen anything like that! Whose idea was it? PLEASE tell me you have pics of the process :angel:

Kim:kim:

Sadly I wasn't able to take pictures of the process, it happened magically while I was at work. From what I'm told I think they put on the thermoset and just start carving it out with their tools. I told the guy he's an artist! I'll have to get his card if I see him again. I'm kicking myself for not getting his number the one time I did get to talk to him. Our pool contractor showed us a similar railing they did and we had to have it!

Here are a couple of more pictures.

Ok, pavers are in, sand is going in the joints today so the deck is almost done! Here are the latest pictures.

Pavers with fire pit.

Pavers around waterfall/slide

Shallow end

This is the pool tile we're thinking about to go under the coping. I think it's called Aztec Cobalt Blue. Some pieces are more brown, some are more blue, this picture I found seems to show more blue.
aztec cobalt blue.jpg

I like your pavers. The slide/grotto certainly looks fun!

Be mindful of the tiles and get as many samples as you can... and even then, the batch you get may not be what you expect. Our tiles had a FAINT whisper of electric blue in them but when we actually got the tiles for install, the batches for install did not have that 'whisper'. Didn't both us, but we found it interesting that it was different etc...

I like your pavers. The slide/grotto certainly looks fun!

Be mindful of the tiles and get as many samples as you can... and even then, the batch you get may not be what you expect. Our tiles had a FAINT whisper of electric blue in them but when we actually got the tiles for install, the batches for install did not have that 'whisper'. Didn't both us, but we found it interesting that it was different etc...

Thanks for the tip Geosage, I did feel like the samples I picked up were more brown than blue (especially when in the shade). I'll probably pick up a couple of more samples and even some of our second choice, maybe when we see them side by side it'll help us make our decision. I'll have to take some pictures of the trim/step tiles when I get home, I have no clue what they're called. We're going for a netral look, we're trying not to time stamp the pool either, our house is old (built in 1940) so we think if it's too contemporary it might not work. Plus with that beautiful slide/waterfall, we want that to be the focal point.

-david

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.