New SW Pool Owner, Old Pump Troubles

Sep 13, 2016
Columbus/GA
I have just purchased a home that has an inground SW pool. It desperately needed a new liner. Had an installer do this job, and then is set to help me get it up and running. Liner is in and pool is now full, but the pump isn't working.

Installer says it's "locked up" and will put a new one and new shaft seal in for $460. It's a Hayward 3/4 HP.

I have a tendency to prefer fixing what I can myself in the time I have.

I did a quick google search and found enough information to disassemble the pump, and get the impeller, diffuser, etc. off.
Motor looks rough, lots of white corrosion and brown rust. House was a foreclosure and judging by the look of the pool it's been more than a year since it was used.

My questions: is there a way I can tell whether the bearings or something internal is locked up vs. just needing a new shaft seal and maybe a capacitor?
OR - should I bite the bullet and just have the installer put one in?

3rd question: the pool just finished filling with hose water (city water) today, so how long do I have to get this figured out before I start having problems with it not having the salt, etc. it needs?

South,

With the power off... you can open the pump lid and take out the basket. Then see if you can manually reach in and turn the impeller. On some pumps you can take the end cap off and turn the shaft that way.. That will tell you if the bearings are locked up, which I doubt.

Just from personal experience, once you see "lots of white corrosion and brown rust", you can kiss cheap pool pumps good-bye. That said, what do you have to lose? Worst case, you have to replace it, best case, you can clean it up and get it running.

Jim R.

Regarding your salt question -- use bleach in the interim. You'll need to get CYA in soon, but, it is very slow to dissolve, and w/o a pump, any addition is likely to just sit on the bottom. The recommended way is to put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return so it doesn't stain your new liner.

Thanks for all of the advice. So the pump did end up being truly locked up. After I took it apart, the impeller wouldn't turn at all. In fact I was able to unscrew it from the shaft without having to lock down the other side of the motor with a wrench.

So I ordered a new pump and got it all put back together, the good news is the pump ran, so I hooked it up correctly. The bad news is, there was a big leak somewhere, so I had to cut it right back off. (I'm guessing I put the shaft seal on upside down??). OR there is a leak in the pump housing/strainer area?

I'm Going to try again tomorrow and see if I can get that fixed.

Regarding the bleach and CYA, can I get some clarification on where to leave it? If the pump isn't working, the return won't be putting out any water correct? I got in the pool today to see what the water was like, and the bottom has already gotten slick??

Alright, I finally got the pump running and not leaking today. Turns out the new shaft seal I ordered was defective and missing one of the ceramic pieces that is on the impeller side. Also, the impeller was so stripped it wasn't giving a tight enough connection. So I got a new shaft seal and a new impeller and now it's running like a charm. My confidence is restored in my diy abilities ;)

Now to get it clean, and start learning the Trouble free pool methods more. Hopefully I can avoid any more pitfalls until the end of this season at least. Thanks again for all of the help.

Spoke to soon, now pump is overheating? and cutting off

Well, I thought I had this new pump up and running well. It cut on, ran for about an hour and then cut off and was pretty hot. Once it cool, it starts back up. I started checking to make sure the strainer basket wasn't clogged (it wasn't) and after cutting everything off, put a screw driver in there to see if the impeller was still able to turn (it was). I'm wondering if I don't have something primed correctly or if there's a valve that is open/closed that shouldn't be?

I watched a video on INYO and unscrewed the pressure gauage to let all of the air out. Then I filled the strainer back up with water. It's still running for a little while then cutting off?

Any ideas?

Well, the solution to the motor overheating was incredibly simple. The motor had a small black switch on the back which allowed for it to switch between 220 and 110. The default is apparently 220, and I have it wired for a 110. So flipping the switch fixed the problem. It's been running for 6 hours now. Hopefully any other new DIYers won't make the same mistake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.