Algae and/or other bacteria won't die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2016
Magnolia, TX
I've read through the process of slamming, brushing, balancing everything, etc... I can't seem to get rid of this issue, though.

First off the pool is and always has been crystal clear and all the chems have been correct except the chlorine has been kept on the low side due to lack of knowledge and not having the fas-dpd test until about 4 days ago. I started noticing what looked like dirt or what I thought was dead algae. I figured out it wasn't dirt or dead algae, it was very much alive and well mustard algae. It seems to all come from under the wedding cake steps where there was quite the algae bloom. I put 32oz of algaecide in but that didn't work either.

I removed and cleaned the steps then put them back in, I brush the pool and vacuum it everyday, I remove and spray off the filter everyday, monitor the chems constantly and I don't know what else to do. I've been holding the FC at 25ppm+ for 5 days. How long is this process supposed to take? It dropped 3 ppm last night which is way better than before but during the day it drops 1.5 an hour. When it was running correctly it dropped 2-2.5 per day. It gets direct sun all day long.

Here are some details on the pool and chem levels

Using the taylor 2006 kit
AG 24x15 oval 10,000 gallon vinyl

FC= been holding it at 25-30 for 5 days
CC= .5
PH= 7.2
TA= 50
CH= 180
CYA= 45

If you need more details please ask. This is driving me nuts

I suspect part of the problem is the algaecide you used, there is a reason it is NOT listed as part of the SLAM process, depending on the type of algaecide you used it can confuse the process and cause chlorine consumption and or CC's to be shown on the test. The same goes for various yellow out mustard algae products. The reason we don't include them in the process is not only that they are not needed, but that they can actually make this harder by confusing the test results.

I suspect part of the problem is the algaecide you used, there is a reason it is NOT listed as part of the SLAM process, depending on the type of algaecide you used it can confuse the process and cause chlorine consumption and or CC's to be shown on the test. The same goes for various yellow out mustard algae products. The reason we don't include them in the process is not only that they are not needed, but that they can actually make this harder by confusing the test results.

Cool, so now what?

add 5 lb of alkalinity increase filter 4 hours add 1 lb of ph increase filter another 4 hours or longer then shock your pool Meaning if the 8 hours puts you in the middle of the day or night wait till evening to shock pool Your water is out of balance chemicals work better in a balanced pool

No. I have a vinyl pool. PH climbs too quickly with a higher TA. Thanks for trying, though!

I would suggest continuing SLAM level and do the overnight chlorine loss test again to confirm the algae / algaecide has burned off

p.s remember that pH test is not valid when FC is over 10 ppm

I don't really have anything to add, other than to keep up what you are doing. If the pool is not in use, you might remove the steps altogether just to eliminate that as a possible haven for algae.

I don't really have anything to add, other than to keep up what you are doing. If the pool is not in use, you might remove the steps altogether just to eliminate that as a possible haven for algae.

Thanks for the reply! The pool would be in use but the algae and high chlorine is preventing that at the moment. We might switch to a ladder if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have been having little feedback because you seem to be doing all the right things.
You should notice your overnight loss to continue to fall and then one day you will pass, prob in the next few days

Only thing I could suggest is have you checked your skimmer, there may be a bit of algae hiding out there

There is no problem with swimming if you meet the following three:
You can see a swimmer on the bottom of the pool - check
Your ph is between 7.2 and 7.8 - check
Your FC is above minumum and below slam
So let your FC fall to 1ppm beneath your slam level, swim away and bump the FC up after your swim

If I upload a video does anyone think they can tell what this stuff is that keeps coming back? I passed SLAM for two nights in a row and dropped down to normal levels in a day and a half( I went from 30 ppm FC to 6.4) but now that stuff is back on the floor.

A lot of that looks like simple dirt, though dead algae can look that way. Do the dark spots "poof" up and disappear when you touch them? The steps look good on the inside, don't know about under the bottom. As far as the liner being "ruined" that is hard to determine from here. Your FC level hasn't been that high for an abnormal length of time. Is it bleached as well? How about adding your detailed info to your signature:Pool School - Getting Started so we will have a reference to what you have. At least the water is clear and the rest of your chemistry is in line. You stated that your CYA is 45...typically that would be 50 - always rounded up. Brush it frequently to keep any live clusters broken up so the chlorine can get to them. As soon as they solidify they create a film to protect them from the chlorine. You're on the way....just keep going!

A lot of that looks like simple dirt, though dead algae can look that way. Do the dark spots "poof" up and disappear when you touch them? The steps look good on the inside, don't know about under the bottom. As far as the liner being "ruined" that is hard to determine from here. Your FC level hasn't been that high for an abnormal length of time. Is it bleached as well? How about adding your detailed info to your signature:Pool School - Getting Started so we will have a reference to what you have. At least the water is clear and the rest of your chemistry is in line. You stated that your CYA is 45...typically that would be 50 - always rounded up. Brush it frequently to keep any live clusters broken up so the chlorine can get to them. As soon as they solidify they create a film to protect them from the chlorine. You're on the way....just keep going!

Yes, the dark spots poof up and disappear.

As far as the liner, it doesn't look bleached but I think it has been damaged by pouring the bleach around the perimeter. I've never done that until the slam because I figured it would help get the bleach where the return doesn't reach. I normally just pour it into the skimmer basket and never had a problem.
So I guess the bleach settled and it basically blistered up.

Is that something that would happen? It's the only thing that I can think of.

So I guess the bleach settled and it basically blistered up.

Is that something that would happen? It's the only thing that I can think of.

I don't know if that could happen or not. Never heard of it happening anyway, but I''m no expert. Are you using a brush for vinyl pools and not one with sharp metal bristles?

Did you have the pump running when you added the bleach?

When did you last vacuum?

When did you last brush?

If you have an auto vac, when did you last run it.

The video tells me it may have been a while. you are certainly not ready to finish the SLAM. I saw lots of live algae in your video.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.