AGP Liner Durability

Teald024

TFP Guide
I have a question about my liner durability. This is our first pool and it was installed about 4 weeks ago, It is 15'x30'x54" AG with a vinyl liner, J-hook style, "heavy duty / Perma 25", made by Swimline. Advertised as 25 gauge or 25-mil depending on where you look. Here is a link to it online.

Since this is our first pool, I am unsure about the durability of the liner over time and with use. There is sand underneath for the floor and coping. I have read others on this site say they have used boxes/platforms out in the middle of the pool. I'm curious about their effects on the liner with possible rub through / thinning. I'm also concerned about the area under the entry stairs feet. There are 4x round suction cup looking feet on the bottom each about 3-4" diameter. Here is a link to it online. I think we have the 6003 model. Ours is currently attached to a ladder over the side and not to a deck. It sits on the floor of the pool, on the liner and is about 3-4" from the wall & coping.

Obviously I want to keep sharp objects out and pokey things to a minimum, but how resilient are these liners? Does anyone have first hand experience with this brand / model? How much sand movement / settling is OK vs too much? Around a couple of the side supports where the walls are straight, there are some dips in the sand. Its definitely not down in a deep crack, but appears to be some settling around where the under pool supports are.

It still has that "new pool smell/feel" :D and perhaps we're still babying it a bit. I just don't want to rip or poke a hole or thin the liner. unfortunately I know first hand what is involved in replacing a liner!! When they first installed the pool, the liner had a leak in one of the seams. It took them about 20 minutes to find it and patch it. The builder came back 10 days later (on their 3rd trip) to replace the liner. What a hassle for a pool that was just 10 days old!! We used it in the patched condition, but I don't want to do that again any time soon.

Also, is there any special brushes I should use for cleaning? How often is normal? We don't really have any trees or leaves in close proximity that shed during the summer, and few that will shed this fall. We are going to cover it over winter though. I don't think I've picked out one leaf in the last 4 weeks. Mostly just some grass and bugs, the skimmer grabs it all.

Thanks - Dave -

Last edited:
Barring any catastrophic failures, you should get at least 10 years out of that liner and quite possibly more. I know of one that turned solid white but lasted 24 years. It will fade out long before you wear it out! Sand shifts and YMMV. Use a nylon bristle brush on a pole and do it once a week in the summer.

I like to keep vinyl mats under the ladder or other items that sit directly on the liner. Amazon and other places have these mats made specifically for liner pools in various sizes, I have a 36x36 under my in pool stairs. The liners are pretty tough, small imperfections like wrinkles and minor settling won't cause any problems, of course something more in the serious category certainly could. Over time and exposure to chemicals the liner becomes less resilient and a bit more susceptible to damage. Chemicals and proper balance play a big part in your liners life. High concentrations allowed directly in contact with the liner, such as powder or granular chlorine allowed to setlle on the floor in piles or liquids such as muratic acid or liquid shock that settle to the floor without properly mixing in can make areas of the liner brittle and more prone to premature failure. When shopping for brushes or other cleaning items they usually specify if they are suitable for vinyl liners. Smooth, rounded edges and nylon bristles would be what you want.

Yeah, it's "what causes catastrophic failures?" that I'm asking about, in a round about way

The catastrophic failures that I have seen are not liner failures, per se, but are instead failures of the pool structure. Now, some failures of the pool structure could be caused by minor failures of the liner and system. Case in point, my borthers pool was leaking by the return, between the liner and the wall of the pool. He knew it was happening, but did not follow up on it. next season, the pool wall rusted through, blowing out the side of the pool, while full of kids.

Very rarely does the liner blow a giant hole in itself without some sort of the support structure failing as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.