Sta-Rite SR400LP Problem. AFS LEDs on. Need help

DPjay

Sep 13, 2016
Montauk, NY
Hi! New user here. I just joined but have been reading posts for about a month. Here's why...

I really need some help.

I have a Sta-Rite SR400LP Heater. Its about 16 months old. Worked fine all last season. Started up fine this season and stopped working in early July.

When I press "Pool on" and set the desired temp to a number higher than the current water temp the blower turns on and the "Service Heater" LED comes on. When I look at the underside of the control board I see the "AFS" LED on. When I look at the FENWAL I see the AFS LED flash at 3 second intervals.

I checked every wire and opening for rodent damage etc and found nothing. I replaced the control board, the AFS Switch and even the FENWAL. Still getting the same error indicators.

Any thoughts?

AFS light is the air flow switch not closing, or the wires to the switch are disconnected, could be chewed or unplugged. There are also 3/8" air tubes that could be disconnected or chewed as well. These tubes are clear. Do you know where this air switch, wires and tubing are to inspect?

You say that you changed the board, didn't you call it into Pentair for a service call? It should have been covered under warranty. Provided you had it installed by a licensed company.

I wonder if the blower has an issue and is not working as it should. It's hard for me to ask you if the blower seems pretty strong when it comes on as you would have to have knowledge of a good strong blower to compare it to.

You say that you changed the board, didn't you call it into Pentair for a service call? It should have been covered under warranty. Provided you had it installed by a licensed company.

I wonder if the blower has an issue and is not working as it should. It's hard for me to ask you if the blower seems pretty strong when it comes on as you would have to have knowledge of a good strong blower to compare it to.

The system was installed by myself and a friend in the pool business (unfortunately he isn't around any more). We did it in May 2015. Ran great all last year and up til July this year. The blower seems to be strong. Sounds like others I have heard with good air flow coming out the exhaust flue.

If you replaced all those parts, i would be looking at either the blower, or some kind of obstruction. Air not passing through the heater properly, something like that. The blower can work or "spin", and still not be moving enough air to satisfy the switch. But to be honest, iv'e only seen that in old worn out blowers that are well over 3 or 4 years, or ones that rats peed on for months.... I suppose you could jump the air switch. But please, do this only to check the heater and remove the jumper after you determine that the heater had fired. However, doing that still won't confirm one component is at fault. It may not help at all. When you jump that switch, you are not only taking the switch out of the equation but the blower as well. I guess in your case we can assume that a new switch is working so this would check just the blower.

Things to confirm.

Does the check heater light go on and stay on? With normal operation, the check heater light will go on right as the blower clicks on, but goes out maybe a full second after the blower starts and spins up to move enough air (pressure) to close the switch. I'm assuming that because you get 3 flashes on the FENWALL that the blower, at some point, shuts off. Yes? I have seen where the blower continues to run and even get a flashing "heating" light, but no firing of the heater. Forget what the problem was there, it was a couple of years ago, and, well, the memory you know?

The heater is not firing at all? not even a couple of seconds then shuts off?

Do you hear any other clicks? Other than the click when the blower comes on?

If you replaced all those parts, i would be looking at either the blower, or some kind of obstruction. Air not passing through the heater properly, something like that. The blower can work or "spin", and still not be moving enough air to satisfy the switch. But to be honest, iv'e only seen that in old worn out blowers that are well over 3 or 4 years, or ones that rats peed on for months.... I suppose you could jump the air switch. But please, do this only to check the heater and remove the jumper after you determine that the heater had fired. However, doing that still won't confirm one component is at fault. It may not help at all. When you jump that switch, you are not only taking the switch out of the equation but the blower as well. I guess in your case we can assume that a new switch is working so this would check just the blower.

Things to confirm.

Does the check heater light go on and stay on? With normal operation, the check heater light will go on right as the blower clicks on, but goes out maybe a full second after the blower starts and spins up to move enough air (pressure) to close the switch. I'm assuming that because you get 3 flashes on the FENWALL that the blower, at some point, shuts off. Yes? I have seen where the blower continues to run and even get a flashing "heating" light, but no firing of the heater. Forget what the problem was there, it was a couple of years ago, and, well, the memory you know?

The heater is not firing at all? not even a couple of seconds then shuts off?

Do you hear any other clicks? Other than the click when the blower comes on?

Thanks, Pool Clown. Will follow these steps later this week. (am travelling now)

Thanks, Pool Clown. Will follow these steps later this week. (am travelling now)

Hi Pool Clown,

I did as you suggested. Put a jumper on the two leads to the Air Flow Switch and pressed the "Pool On" button. The pool temp was 66 (I'm in NY) and the desired temp was 71. The "Heater" LED lit up GREEN but the blower did not turn on. I do hear some very subtle clicking sounds as it goes through the cycle.

Control Board Diagnostics - (When Jumpered):

LED8 - Flashing YELLOW

LED9 - Solid GREEN

LED 11 - After 40 seconds Turns RED

FENWAL Diagnostics - (When Jumpered)

Far Right LED flashing RED every 3 seconds

Thanks for your help!

You can't jump the air switch right away. You have to let the blower kick on and then you can jump it out. By jumping it before you turn the system on it simulates a fault and thus nothing will happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, i'll redo the test shortly.

Thanks!

OK, I turned the heater on with the two AF Switch leads connected to the switch. The blower powered on. Then I removed to two AF Switch leads and jumpered them. The Heater light flashed green and blower stayed on. No LED diagnostics appeared on the Control Board or the FENWAL. I did hear a click about every 10-20 seconds but no ignition. Continued for about a minute and I turned the heater off.

The clicking is the gas valve opening. Did you smell gas? I wonder if the ignitor is getting hot. **CAREFULLY** you can place your hand down by and feel the ignitor and see if it's hot. But be careful! I usually let the unit try to light for a few times and then kill all power to it and check to see if the ignitor is hot. You can kill the power from inside the heater by pulling the red/black power selector plug out. it can be very HOT!

The clicking is the gas valve opening. Did you smell gas? I wonder if the ignitor is getting hot. **CAREFULLY** you can place your hand down by and feel the ignitor and see if it's hot. But be careful! I usually let the unit try to light for a few times and then kill all power to it and check to see if the ignitor is hot. You can kill the power from inside the heater by pulling the red/black power selector plug out. it can be very HOT!

Ok, did as you suggested. There is no Gas smell. The ignitor is not hot to the touch

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.