Algaecide and PH/CL/TA

Jun 4, 2009
Sullivan County, NY
Hi,

Just wondering whether algaecide or clarifier (coagulator?) has an affect on PH/CL/TA/etc.?

Besides my issues posted separately, there's a slight green tint to the bottom 1/3 of the walls of my round AG pool. I read in another post to take a trichlor tab and scrub it with it to see if it cleans it (not sure what that indicates, positively or negatively), but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Thanks!

Joseph

Clarifier doesn't have any significant impact on any of the chemical levels. Some algaecides will lower the FC level, others won't. Algaecide shouldn't affect any of the other levels.

We don't recommend using either algaecide or clarifier, except is some rare and specific situations. One of the principals of BBB is to not add anything that you don't really need.

Thanks for the info, Jason.

I've been reading up on BBB/Pool School and I just saw the advice against algaecide. I always wondered what role, exactly algaecide played when chlorine was supposed be killing any living organisms in a pool.

Clarifier's saved my bottom a number of times already, apparently doing what it's supposed to do and coagulating particles and allowing the filtration to catch them faster/quicker/more-effectively. I suspect it would have been just as effective to follow BBB instead.

Too bad I just bought a few hundred dollars worth of chemicals....

josephny said:
I read in another post to take a trichlor tab and scrub it with it to see if it cleans it (not sure what that indicates, positively or negatively), but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.
I think if you hold a trichlor puck against a stain, and it helps, then the stain is organic (as opposed to metal).
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.