Pressure on Gauge never changes

Jun 14, 2011
New Jersey
So when I moved in the pressure gauge was already pretty old but I never thought it maybe bad, after couple of season of it never changing the values really I decided to replace it. My pool was always pretty clear and not much stuff gets into the baskets. I bought a brand new zodiac pressure gauge this year and I noticed the same thing, the pressure never changes on this thing, really It might have dropped very slightly. I did have a small algae outbreak when I shut off my chlorinator production for a few days by mistake but it cleared up very quickly when I shocked. Even with that I thought it would raise the pressure at least a bit. I think the gauge run for at least 2 months without any pressure change. Can it be another bad one? or something with the filter?

Does the pressure go to 0 when it's off? Is the pressure slightly less on circulate than filter? Is/are the return/s strong?

Yes it does go to 0 when off, as far as the returns I am not really sure what strong means, they seem ok to me but I couldn't really tell you if they were as strong when I moved in 5 years ago or not, I do not have a good memory for stuff like that :/.

What is the pressure reading when the pump is on?
Do you backwash it ever, the pressure may be to high on your filter,and when you backwash may not lower the pressure due to a clogged filter,

The pressure reads about 16, I did backwash it 3 times I think when opening the pool while I shock for the overnight test. I passed the overnight test within 24 hours pretty much every time I opened the pool since I moved in and water remains clear all season (with exception I mentioned earlier). I bought the gauge after this period but I did backwash when I replaced it as I had too much water plus I wanted to be sure my filter is clean when I install the pressure gauge. I have not backwashed since as filter never moved and water is crystal clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a house water system pressure gauge, years ago, that would periodically read inaccurately. The reason being that it was mounted on a little elbow which had narrow ID and would periodically get clogged with sediment. Not sure if this might have any relevance in your situation, but consider whether the water has a nice clear path to the gauge.

RafaelS,

Easy to see if your gauge is working. Simply restrict (slowly) the flow to the pump by slightly shutting down the valves from the pool. Your pressure will drop.

Reopen those valves and now restrict the flow on the pressure side. I hope you have a handy valve but you could also simply undo one of the return fittings (now you are increasing flow).....your pressure should drop again.

If that all checks out, then I would say you have a clean pool that gets little to no dirt and you manage your FC levels so you don't get algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.