2-speed Hayward Tristar - won't start on high

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hi TFP,
My motor is acting strange. It will not start on high speed - it will hum/buzz for about 1 second, then stop and wait a minute, buzz, stop.....etc. It will start just fine on low, and once running it will happily switch between high and low. For the time being, I have it set such that it starts on low and later switches to high for cleaning, so I don't think it's a crisis yet.

I've read enough stories on here to suspect that it is related to a switch or capacitor, but would appreciate any help in starting that troubleshooting process. Thanks!

Sounds like it might have something to do with the centrifugal switch. That controls how the motor starts. Check the contacts for corrosion.

OK, I popped open the back over the weekend. I cleaned the contacts at the end of the copper strips (I think these are the right ones?), but that didn't make a difference; it still makes an angry buzzing sound when I try to start it on high.

The motor does have two capacitors, one under the backplate and one hump on top. Is there anything else I can check before I just take the motor into a shop?

Attachments

• 20160918_154051_resized.jpg
    20160918_154051_resized.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.