removing a permanent handrail

Sep 12, 2016
Lake Worth, FL
Hi all, I'm in south florida (lake worth) and have a gunite pool with steps in one corner.
Right in the middle of the steps is a 4-shaped handrail that looks like its permanently attached to the concrete deck.
I'd like to make the steps a little more inviting since people like to lounge and sit on them...but this handrail gets in the way of everything.
Two questions:
1. does anyone know of any florida/palm beach county code requirements that say I have to have this handrail there? Can i remove it without violating building code?
2. any suggestions on how I'd have it removed? even if i had someone just saw it off, there's going to be a metal lip sitting above the deck that could be dangerous.
I don't see any screws or anything around the base suggesting it might be removable.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Sally

Usually, at the base of the handrail where the posts enter the concrete, there is a decorative, round plate (escutcheon) that is lifter up and the removal bolt is underneath.

If it's been there any time, they can be a BEAR to get out. Cany you lift that decorative plate?

Very Lazy installation. Oh Well.

They can be cut off and then ground down with an angle grinder below the level of the decking and then patched. I doubt you can get that repair to be invisible but you can make it so it doesn't stick up.

With the assumption that you're going to have to patch the holes left in the concrete anyway, why not chip around the posts and see if there are anchors with bolts underneath the concrete that may have been covered up?

I agree. I'll bet those are in anchor cups. The stainless would be so slick the concrete would never keep it from slipping long-term.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.