CH jumped from 275 to 400-425?

Ronald U.

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
I typically run CH 275 - 300. I didn't add any calcium intentionally (no Ca shock, Ca chloride). Today I was doing my weekly chemistries and find 400 and 425. What can cause such a jump? Thank you.
Here are my other latest numbers:
pH 7.7
FC 6.0
CC 0.5
TA 80
Salt 1800 ( about 10 days ago)
CYA </= 40 (8 days ago; too cloudy just now to run test)
Borate 40

How much fill water are you needing to add each week?

Are you using a SpeedStir?

A range of 400-425 and 425-450 is well within testing errors and shouldn't be cause for alarm. A CH of 450 is very manageable, hopefully some rains this winter will dilute it some.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CH is probably the most stable of everything we test. It never leaves a pool and generally increases slowly, depending on amount of fill water.

Since your testing seems dependable and repeatable, that can only mean CH is being introduced into your pool. What the source is I certainly can't tell.

If you can't get it figured out soon, I would suggest you drain about a foot of water and replace it with your 200 CH fill water. That may be a permanent exercise unless you find the source.

I occasionally creep into the "potential" problem negative CSI (< -0.3 but > -0.6). I assumed this still means I am not leaching calcium from plaster walls. Extremely rare I go into < -0.6, and then for less than 24 hours. / I will ask my wife if she's applied anything in the surrounding vegetation. The case of the mysterious calcium.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.