Vacuuming Debris

Hi Sandy31,

Can you please put your location (city and state) in your profile? Pool School - Getting Started

Can you post up a full set of test results and what test kit you used to get those results? Use this format:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

We recommend the TF-100 as it is the best value: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

The presence of dead or live algae means you need to SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

SLAM until you meet all 3 criteria:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

The presence of dead algae means that the water is not clear and you need to continue your SLAM.

The water is clear and I can the see the bottom just its filled with fine dust about 3 inches thick in some spots. When I try to manually vacuum it. It starts to stir up and I have to wait till it clears.

Again, the "fine dust" you have is algae and you can't get rid of algae unless you SLAM. You probably have just enough FC to keep it from becoming an ugly green swamp, but not enough to kill the algae. DE filters clog very quickly with algae that is probably helping you from getting worse, but I image that you are having to backwash more frequently than usual.

You really need to SLAM your pool to get ahead of the algae. With a DE filter, this will go quickly, but you will need one of the recommended test kits.

Post up some results when you have them and we'll help you get this thing cleared in no time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.