Adding A vaccuum port with minimal work

Jun 5, 2009
Yes, I know the subject makes me sound like a lazy pool owner. Maybe I'm not because I want to tackle this job myself!

Our pool is a 4.5 x 9metre oval w/ diving well. Close to the centre of the lengthy side of it is a fitting. It was previously routed up to a secondary pump. I am told it was originally used for a cleaner device which operated via pressure. I would like to use it for the baracuda which obviously works off vaccuum. (the idea to use a side fitting for this and combine this with the overflow via Jandy valve comes from someone else's pool nearby.)

My concerns are as follows: The fitting seems fairly large of i.d. but I believe the old pvc plumbing at the secondary pump was small so I suspect worst case scenario, I shall have to run new larger plumbing. Small as in smaller than the piping at the overflow to filter basket plumbing. What's the minimum piping one would use with a baracuda to Jandy?

I like to do things so they're reliable long term. On pool equipment, should I do threaded connections at all points or just do the adhesive properly with surface scuff and chem-prep before and the right adhesive after?

Mating the two at a Jandy is all I know. Is there a better option? Does my valve have any options to run both simultaneously and separately?

Attachments

• DSCF1081-both.jpg
    DSCF1081-both.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 254
Well, a fellow at the LPS indicated I should aim for 1.5" plumbing for the baracuda so I'll have to figure out where the plumbing is necked down.

To my earlier questions, any thoughts?:

Mating the two at a Jandy is all I know. Is there a better option?

Does my valve have any options to run both simultaneously and separately?

Well, after some digging near the equipment and then at the wall of the pool, I find that it is necked down just outside the pool.

So, I shall have to run all new 1.5 PVC and am digging currently.

It goes through the wall of the pool, 90 degrees to up, then 90 degrees towards the pool filter/pump equipment (NorthEast of the pool.)

Will plumbing be okay when run in 90s like that, just replaced with all 1.5" pipe? Or should I aim for gentler curves, such as 45s?

Thank you.

Attachments

• vac_pl_pr01.jpg
    vac_pl_pr01.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF1490_crop.jpg
    DSCF1490_crop.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 82
  • vac_pl_pr00.jpg
    vac_pl_pr00.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 82
I'm certainly not the plumbing expert you really want to rely upon in response to your questions, but will I do until one comes along? :wink:

Somewhere (possibly in Hydraulics 101 on this site) I read that installing sweep 90s is preferable to replacing a single 90 degree with (2) 45s. In addition, since it appears you're going to replace the entire length of the run, why not plumb with 2 inch instead of 1 1/2 inch PVC?

Standard glued slip fittings are the easiest and the most reliable. You want everything, pipe and fittings, to be schedule 40. Sweep 90s are better than regular 90s, but the difference is very small and won't be noticeable unless you optimize everything else about your plumbing at the same time. 2" pipe is better, but 1.5" will do just fine. The price difference is usually small, so it is typically worth going to 2", but hardly essential.

You are going to want to connect the pipe to the suction side of the plumbing, before the pump. A 3-way Jandy never lube valve is probably your best choice. Connect it so that the existing pipe uses the straight through path through the new valve and the new suction line hooks up to the side. The existing multi-port valve is on the pressure side and will not be involved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.