Just started a conversion last Sunday

horsegal

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2009
Riverside, CA
Split off of this topic. JasonLion

Keeping posting information. I just started a conversion last Sunday. I've been reading all of the Baqua to Chlorine forums. My water turned rust when adding shock the first couple of times. I've since switched to store bleach and have the typical pea green soup. I've added 9 bottles of varying sizes so far. It sounds like I have tons more to go. I work during the day, so I can only check before I leave and when I get home. I guess it will take much longer for me to convert. I was happy to read the post from the moderators that you can up to FC 15 once a day or several times. So, basically, it will just take me longer to get to the end result...right?

Re: My BC_2_CC BaquaCrud to Chlorine Conversion

OK, so I went to the pool store to buy a test kit and instead of a test kit he sold me something called BurnOut. Has anyone hear of that? He told me to put 5 lbs of it into my pool, turn off the pump and that the crud should settle and I could vacuum it up tomorrow and basically my water would be clear and I'd be done. Is he just giving me a line of cr__? I've seen so many people use the chlorine method, but I'm not supposed to life heavy stuff due to a hernia, so the little bags of Burn Out made more sense. Please, anyone who knows about these Baqua to chlorine conversions tell me if you have ever heard of this and could it possibly work? Thanks

Are these BioGuard Burn Out Extreme, or BioGuard Burn Out 35? If so, they are both forms of chlorine that cost more than bleach, Burn Out 35 in particular costs way more than bleach. Burn Out Extreme is more expensive than bleach, but not as dramatically much more, however it adds calcium to the pool, which may or may not be a problem. If carrying bleach is a problem for you, then they are both candidates for doing the same thing, though I bet you could get them at a better price than whatever you paid.

Nothing works overnight. There are some approaches that speed things up a little, and cost more, none of them speed things up dramatically.

horsegal said:
OK, so I went to the pool store to buy a test kit and instead of a test kit he sold me something called BurnOut.

This is what we lovingly refer to as being "pool stored". :grrrr:

Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find one of the recommended test kits in stores. TF100 is only sold online, and 90% of the time the Taylor kits aren't kept in stock, and often newbies like yourself get talked out of it by sales clerks who want you to continue to come to them for testing so that they can convince you to buy their pool chems. What also happens is the kit one might find at the store tends to be the wrong one or a lesser version.

So I'd recommend you order either the TF100 or the K-2006 online.

Can you get pool Store liquid Chlorine at 12.5% strength? It will mean less jugs to carry...as Jason said you want to be cautious using Cal-Hypo since we don't know your CH level yet.

Good luck - and here's to a speedy conversion for ya! :wave:

My pool looked way better before I put in the Burn Out Extreme from Bioguard. Of course I asked the pool guy about the Calcium level increase and he said it shouldn't be a problem. My PH has stayed around 7.2-7.4. CH 300. He also told me to turn my pump off- that seemed strange to me. Anyway, my pool is super dark green, but it looks like when I've had an algae bloom in summers past with Baqu. My pool is a splash pool and we've drained it and put it away for a winter before, so my liner doesn't "shrink" as I've heard some talk about. We are in a drought here in CA and the price of water is about to go up, but I still think draining and refilling would be cheaper. I've already purchased a new filter cartridge filter for when I am done converting. What would you do? I think I know, buy more bleach. I'm stubborn- I've seen others do this with bleach and it works, so I want to do it too.

Please tell me, do I keep the pump running 24/7 or do I turn it off? Thank you!

I recommend finishing the conversion with chlorine. In most places most of the time it doesn't cost any more than a drain and refill, though there are places where water is very inexpensive.

You should keep the pump running 24x7 during the conversion.

Baquacil reacts with chlorine and turns all kinds of entertaining colors. That is normal and will go away when you near the end of the conversion.

With CH already at 300, you don't want to use all that much Burn Out Extreme. Some is alright, but as CH goes up you will start to have problems.

You might be able to find liquid chlorine at a pool store, which is really exactly the same as bleach but at a higher concentration, so there is half as much to carry. If you can find it, it is often cost competitive with bleach.

I have another question...I still have really good flow through my filter. My psi has stayed at 10 since Sunday. Shouldn't it be going up? All of the other posts I've read talk about having to clean their filters, etc. I have a cartridge filter that you have to take out of the tank to clean. No sand, no D.E. and I can't "vacuum to waste".

After the 5lbs of Burn Out Extreme added last night I have no FC reading now. That being the case algae can start growing. My question before was, can I raise my FC to 15 in the morning, go to work all day, come home and raise it again to 15 in the evening? Is that enough to keep the algae growth down? My pool will still convert, but more slowly than someone who is sitting at home adding bleach 4-5 times a day, am I correct in my thinking? This is a frustrating process. I appreciate any suggestions from the forum. Thanks again :)

I have some pictures, but don't know how to post them.

Attachments

• Goo pool 6-6-09 11 a.m..jpg
    Goo pool 6-6-09 11 a.m..jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 529
At the start of a conversion, the FC level will drop to zero very quickly. This will continue for a while, till eventually you can maintain an FC level for longer and longer periods.

You can raise your FC level to 15 as infrequently as once a day, or as frequently as once an hour. Adding chlorine in the evening is more efficient, since less chlorine gets lot to sunlight, though in the early stages of a conversion it doesn't make much difference as all the chlorine combines with baquacil so quickly that the sunlight doesn't have much effect.

Baquacil conversions can take a while. You need to be patient. The water will turn various entertaining colors. Appreciate them while you can, when you are done the water will be the same sparkling blue color very day :)

Jason,
Thank you for the help and encouragement. Patience is usually my middle name when working with children, but not when looking at that ugly brown/green water. I was using store brand bleach, but on one of the threads I read that it might only be 3%. I'm back to Clorox only! And I'm not going back to the pool store guy either. For my size pool and an initial level of 20 ppm baqua about how many gallons of bleach will I need total? There should not have been any baqua shock since the pool has been covered from Sept 2008-until we uncovered the end of May, but I did not test for that. My FC has remained above 15 almost all day, but the water is still soupy green. Does this sound right?

It is nearly impossible for your FC level to have stayed at 15 all day. What are you using to test the FC level?

It is difficult to guess how much bleach you will need, there are too many factors that affect it. Others have used between 30 and 120+ gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm back to Clorox only!

Walmart has a 192oz Big Bottle of Bleach that is only about $2.55 a Bottle. It is 6%, and it works very well. You don't have to use name brand Bleach to get 6%. I drained my pool and refilled it and I still used over 15 Bottles, so stock up! but it will be worth it.

I am still in the process of converting, but my water has Never looked so clear!

Make sure you get the TF Test Kit, it is worth the investment and will make your conversion easier.

I have ordered a test kit, but it isn't here yet. I added Chlorox 3 times yesterday at 1.5 jugs of 182 oz. each time. This morning I still had FC 3 which is the first time I've held chlorine overnight. I used the calculator to make sure I got back to FC 15. The water is still green and I haven't had much foam or goo on the top. The water is actually not "thick", just green tinted. What part of the country are you from Jim, your posts don't say?

182 oz. Chlorox was $3.19 on sale a K-Mart. It isn't worth the gas for me to travel to Wal-Mart. All of the 12% at K-Mart was leaking and I didn't want to put it into my new car :cry: Thanks for your help :)

It is cloudy outside (obviously from the photo), but the clarity of the water seems better today. FC 3 when I tested first thing this morning. Added 1.5 jug of 182 oz. so 273 oz of Chlorox to get FC back to 15. Will check again in two hours.

Attachments

• June 7 9 am pool.jpg
    June 7 9 am pool.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 483
I am brand new to this conversion process, but I do know that sunlight eats up the Bleach, so make sure you check every couple hours during the day and dose it up after the sun goes down. You will use more Bleach, but the Baquacil will get eaten up quicker. Also, keep your Pump running 24/7. Also, you will want to keep vacuuming and brushing down the sides to help get rid of the "goo: faster. The longer you can keep the FC at 15, the quicker the conversion will happen and you will see a big difference! :-D

By the way, I am from NE Ohio and I fixed my profile!

horsegal said:
Anyway, my pool is super dark green, but it looks like when I've had an algae bloom in summers past with Baqu. My pool is a splash pool and we've drained it and put it away for a winter before, so my liner doesn't "shrink" as I've heard some talk about. We are in a drought here in CA and the price of water is about to go up, but I still think draining and refilling would be cheaper. I've already purchased a new filter cartridge filter for when I am done converting. What would you do? I think I know, buy more bleach. I'm stubborn- I've seen others do this with bleach and it works, so I want to do it too.

I did most of my conversion with sodium percarbonate. It took only about 12 bottles of bleach to finish it up. Since you're already started, I think I'd just continue with the bleach. I was able to find a very good price on 12.5% liquid chlorine at an Aco hardware. Not sure if they're in your area though but maybe you could check at another hardware store.

Your hard work will pay off and you'll be sooo happy once the conversion is done.

Thanks for the encouragement :-D

I asked someone, now I can't remember who about the sodium per...can't remember the rest of that word, but they said it wouldn't work. It seems like everyone has a different opinion here in CA. Talked to three pool people and got three different answers- drain the pool, "oh if you haven't used it since last Sept. there won't be any Baqua left"-yeah right- that's why my pool turned rust when I added chlorine based shock, use Burn Out Extreme, etc.

The best advice I've gotten is here at TFP. At least there are photos and people who have actually done this before! All of you who have done it and have sparkling pool to prove it, thank you! I'll get there I'm sure.

:wave: Hi

You are doing fine. I didn't have pressure build up or lots of goo either. I think my baquacil levels were fairly low to start with, pool store said about 30, but who knows...lol. Just keep adding the bleach per calculator and it WILL happen. I think I must've used over 70 gallons for my conversion with low levels. I actually stopped counting at around 65 jugs. You will be so glad you did this. I am one week past my conversion and my water is just beautiful. Even with the filter off it looks like glass. I do tend to keep my chlorine a little higher than target because my pool gets sun all day and I don't have a cover, but you will figure out whats best for you. Keep at it. good work!

Attachments

• 214.bmp
    254.1 KB · Views: 464
pepsiolic,

Are you just using the bleach to keep your chlorine levels since you converted? Your pool does look beautiful! It seems that yours is similar in overall size to mine and above ground too. I also have sun almost all day and no cover. Our old one finally disintegrated and my husband cut the pole to short so it wasn't very stable on the roller.

Most of my friends and my dad use the pucks and never have any problems with their water either, so I may go that route once converted.
That is why I decided to switch from baqua- I'd get algae blooms and they never did. Also started fighting the slime/mold last summer.

Your screen name pepsiholic made me laugh. I drink Dr. Pepper by the gallons and my family all say that I'm an addict. Does that make me a DPolic?

horsegal

I just use bleach, that's all. I have read about using the pucks so be careful, they will in time raise your CYA level to high.

I just test my chlorine at night, around dusk or so if no one is swimming, add add a top up dose of bleach using the pool calculator to tell me how much to add. I think my target is 5 ppm, but I always shoot for around 7 to allow for burnoff the next day. I'm not sure if this is correct, but it seems to be working for me :-D . I don't even have to use an algaecide, just keeping the levels between 5 and 7 seems to do the trick.

Yeah, I'm an avid Pepsi drinker..lol...we all have our "vices", I guess....lol

Pepsiholic,

Did your water turn blue "overnight" or did you notice a gradual change in color? I think I am actually seeing blue around the edges of my pool or am I dreaming?

Thanks for the update on maintaining your pool since the conversion. I don't think I will have too much CYA build up problem because we end up having to add water to our pools every week due to major evaporation. Our climate is very desertish. Ironic since you can see clouds in my photos. That is the most moisture we've seen all year. I believe the only way to decrease CYA is to add water if I am not mistaken. If someone knows differently please advise- I am open to suggestions from those who are successful.

Thanks all, horsegal in CA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.