Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH and cloudiness

1. Back To Top    #1

CH and cloudiness

Hi there, brand-new member here...

A week after pulling the cover off, my pool's fine now. Thanks to this forum for all the information that guided me and put my mind at ease while repeatedly shocking the pool and waiting for the water to clear.

Along the way, I got a sample tested at the pool store and it came up low on CH. The tester said he was quite sure adding hardness would clear up the white cloudiness I was still having at the time. This was something I was surprised to hear. I wonder if he was just trying to sell me Hardness-Up, knowing the cloudiness was likely to clear up after a few days of around-the-clock filtering anyways (which it did). Does hardness have any effect on cloudiness? I'm a newbie pool owner, so maybe there is some truth to what he said.

Besides, I thought I didn't need hardness because my pool is vinyl-lined. Is there any reason to care about low calcium in a vinyl pool?

-Mike
    30kgal in-ground, 20x40, vinyl, DE filter, 1HP pump, oil heater, Southern New Hampshire

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH and cloudiness

Welcome to TFP!

That is exactly backwards. High CH levels can lead to a white cloudiness that won't filter out.

Low CH is fine with a vinyl pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CH and cloudiness

That's what I would have thought. Score one for TFP, minus one for this local pool store... caveat emptor.
    Thanks!
    30kgal in-ground, 20x40, vinyl, DE filter, 1HP pump, oil heater, Southern New Hampshire