Pool company closing?

Will they teach you how to open yourself (when they close) so that you can save some money? Opening is really easy compared to closing.

It's the pool water temp that's important. If it gets 70 outside for a bit, the water temp won't get too warm.

I am wondering.. Why are you going to have to slam in the Spring? Do you have current issues?

Will they teach you how to open yourself (when they close) so that you can save some money? Opening is really easy compared to closing.

It's the pool water temp that's important. If it gets 70 outside for a bit, the water temp won't get too warm.

I am wondering.. Why are you going to have to slam in the Spring? Do you have current issues?

I'm so new at this that I think I'd rather watch them do it then try next year.

The company closed it last year before I heard of this forum so I didn't even know what they did. When they opened it, it was a little green. They dumped in about 8 bags of shock and it cleared up in a day. That's when I took over and had an amazing clear blue summer.

I just assumed with a mesh cover that the pool would be green when opened and that I would have to slam to get it started. Just an assumption!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naw... You can SO avoid opening green!!!

A buddy of mine uses a Home Depot, cheapo impermeable tarp with sandbags/rocks/something to hold it down over his mesh cover and it works a treat for him. I know others that also open clear with mesh covers. They are just careful to keep the debris cleared off the cover so it doesn't act as a teabag.

Our first year we watched the company open and took copious notes. Didn't really need the copious part... Since then, we have always opened ourselves. Easy.

Two follow up questions:

Question 1. Is the attached pic the correct BQ? I see its part of a 1-2-3 style system of adding chemicals. It's the algaecide. (Ok I tried but can't upload photo via tapatalk- blue bottle with #3 on the side).

Question 2. Would I need to add any stain chemicals? All of the companies I'm reading about suggest adding a stain and scale control. I haven't used any of this all year.

I just found a new company that will do what I need for only 210 (blow out, filter clean, plug). I'll deal with opening next year hopefully myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad you found the $210 guy last fall. I almost fell out my chair when I saw your earlier quotes to close. I do almost exactly as you do. Though I clean my cartridges because nobody I pay will clean them more thoroughly than me. All chems and cover by me.

I'm doing an experiment now. On January 25th, my FC was 0. I had raised to SLAM level and closed around 11/1. A few years ago I put in a bottle of bleach and circulated the water in late winter. Don't feel like doing that anymore. And since I open early (by mid April) I'm seeing of the 0 FC will hold with water temps as they are well below 60. If my occasional (and now more frequent) water checks show water is still clear, I win. If not, I should have used Polyquat as above.

BTW - I was just perusing your started threads during your first year. You had some really good discussions going there. I seemed to have missed most of them at the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.