Low PH and filter question

May 8, 2013
Hi everyone,

After a few weeks of a sparkling pool we had some heavy rains over the last few days which resulted in the water turning slightly hazy and a decent amount of sand in the bottom of the pool.
I vacuumed the floor yesterday and the sand has returned. How do I improve the performance of my filter (if it appears to be the same sand).

Also, I tested the FC level yesterday which was low and I added bleach.

Today these are the readings:

FC=7 (I wanted it to be 5 but the SWG must have generated 2 more)
pH = 7
AL = 110

Ive purchased some Borax to add to raise the pH but wanted your guidance on all the above so I can do things the right way to get back to a sparkly pool.

Thanks,

T

I can't comment on the FC without knowing what your CYA level is. If your water is hazy you need to determine if something is growing in there or if at least dosing it up to SLAM level with liquid chlorine might fix it quickly. This sand stuff you write about- can you feel it? Pick it up and feel grit? If not it sounds like algae and you need to perform a full SLAM procedure.

I'd say you could run any water features you have and get that pH up naturally, but if you're in a hurry go ahead and use PoolMath to guide you in how much Borax to use. If you *do* need to SLAM the pool, its best to have your pH around 7.2 as that optimizes the chlorine best.

Don't use washing soda to raise the pH as it will also jack up your TA more and its already high enough.

Yip :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.