Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Re did the plaster in our pool this april. Wet edge luna quartrz.

Will be about 6 months cured before closing in our northeast climate.

FC 5
TA 110
PH 7.3
Cya 25
Salt level 2950

Have been adding MA all summer for consistent PH rise-- while expected in fresh plaster it is still continuing. Have had a steady increase in CH as well now at 450 with some draining and refill.

Concerns:

1) Do I need to aggressively manage the PH over the winter?

2) I have to lower the pool level below the tile and skimmers. Will this be bad for the exposed upper plaster 6 months after curing?

3) CH 450 seems High to me but my SI is 0.12 . CH is within the recommended range for my Intellichem system with SWCG <500.

I have scanned a few posts suggesting closing as late as possible so that the curing reaction is "slower", But I would appreciate any other tips.

If a moderator sees this It would be great if the pool school closing section had a subsection on closing a pool with plaster still curing. Thanks Ahead.

BUMP.

I don't have a good answer. Based on what I've seen in previous plaster pools that were over-wintered while still in that 12 month baby phase, you might be opening to a lot of calcium scale in the spring. The problem is, you really can rise a pipe burst since you live in an area of the country where freezing will definitely happen. So you'll have to close it like most people in your area do and hope for the best. All I can say is close it as late as you possibly can and opening it up as early as you can next year.

Hopefully our other plaster experts can chime in.

I would do all I could to reduce the TA as much as possible before closing. Instructions are on the forum and in Pool School to help you do that. The lower your TA, the slower your pH will rise over the winter. If you get agressive with it now, you'll be able to lower it at least a little. As said, keep it open as long as you can safely do so. As long as you close before the first hard freeze, you'll be fine.

thanks to all. I hope a moderator will add "closing a fresh plaster pool" to the pool school for others in the same situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.