algae problem

Sep 8, 2016
Wadsworth, OH
I am new to owning a pool, and have had a great experience this summer up until the past week. Throughout the summer I've been able to maintain a PH of 7.5, alkalinity at 90, calcium hardness of 200, and a CYA at 30. I have been adding liquid chlorine daily with no problems until I slacked off for a few days. I have been adding a gallon of 12.5% chlorine every night for the past five days, but the algae continues to come back each day. Last night I brought my FC up to 13.5 and scrubbed the entire pool. Around noon today I checked the pool and the algae still came back. The amount the comes back each day is not very noticeable. Should I shock at a higher level or resort to an algaecide? Any input would be appreciated.

You know how you go to the doctor with a sore throat and he says "take this pill for 10 days" and you start but after day 2 your throat feels better so you stop the pills? Later you come down with some dreadful disease and kick yourself for not completing the course of therapy.

That's how it is with killing algae- you've got to go at it hard and keep at it so that you've killed all the critters faster and longer than they can reproduce... all of 'em!
A SLAM process is all about keeping the chlorine high and maintaining it until the algae have died off and are gone. Its not a one-time punch of chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.