Trying to pull an old pool cover off to replace it for winter

Oct 31, 2013
Hey guys and gals...

Basically have a tarp like cover that sustained some holes in it over the winter to where if I try to throw a sump pump on the pool the pool water fills back onto the cover and I can never fully drain the cover to pull it to replace it.

Getting ready to swap it for a new one and just probing to see if anyone has a better idea or has faced the same problem.

A couple of years ago I tried the same thing and ended up dumping all the nasty water into my pool and took forever to clean up. Hoping to avoid that.

Thanks in advance!

I don't close or cover the pool but I do use a solar cover and sometimes it gets plenty of junk on it. I scoop as much as I can with a leaf rake and the rest goes into the pool. It is pretty unavoidable.

Pump as much as you can with sump. Scoop if you can with a bucket maybe? If you are that worried, put chlorine in water to sanitize it that way maybe?

Assume pool is not operational? I ask because this past summer my solar cover got pretty mucky - after scooping a few leaves out, i brushed the water towards and directed it right into the skimmer...figured it was better than letting it all go into the pool directly...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.