Mollyj

Nov 14, 2014
Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, it's been nearly a year since I was last on here - winter makes you hibernate :) My new above ground pool arrived this week - two and a half weeks early - super exciting. Well, it would have been if it hadn't been pouring with rain, I was home alone and my drive has a slight incline. Added to that was the delivery driver who didn't want to do any heavy lifting. I called that days exercise as done.

Now, I have a few questions re sinking in an above ground pool. This one is 5.6mtr x 3mtr braceless oval and has been designed to go in the ground as well as above. I'm planning on sinking it in about 60 to 70 cms (2 foot approximately) Would you recommend using a slurry mix around the pool once it's been filled with water? We have a very high clay content here and our soil sets rock hard in the summer. It also cracks badly which is a bit of a concern.

The other question is what if any type of plastic sheeting do you use for the side walls before covering them with slurry/soil?
With the pool bottom, after the sand has covered the bottom, is it wise to add a tarp over the sand between the liner? With my little intex pool last year, I used old carpet tiles on top of a tarp with another tarp on top of the taped together tiles and then the pool on top. It gave such a nice flat spongy floor and worked absolutely perfectly.

Thanks in advance for your help - I'm sure there will be plenty ore questions when we get our council permission.

I can help with the bottom.....several people have used foam board like is used on the sides of houses. You can buy it at Lowe's. Use good tape and triple tape it to keep it in place. It gives a softer, smooth bottom.

:kim:

Thanks Kimkats, I'm sure our Bunnings will have it. Pool fence guy is coming tomorrow - just need to get my head around doing the plan for the council and get a permit from the water company. I'll hopefully be swimming by this time next month.

Well, this pool is taking longer than I'd like to get council approval for. We've been told to go ahead and dig the hole so it looks like they are really close to a decision.

Are there any really good you tube videos on how to install a braceless oval pool? I'm thinking a bit of guidance on how it all goes together would be great.

We have clay soil and where the Dingo dumper removed all the dirt, there are tyre tracks and it's all uneven. The floor is level just very bumpy. I think that eh whole area needs tamping down smooth before we do any of the installation, hubs thinks that the sand will make the bottom smooth. What is the right/best thing to do?

Also, on my smaller intex pool last year, I used old carpet tiles underneath the liner - they were well taped and worked absolutely brilliantly. The bottom was so smooth and lovely to walk on. Is it okay to use these on the bottom of this pool?

I'm sure there will be heaps of questions over the coming weeks.

I would smooth the bottom out as much as you can. The sand will shift quite a bit as you move everything around. Give your self the best start you can by having the bottom as smooth as possible with each kind of dirt.

Several people use foam boards under their liner. I am not sure how carpet squares will hold up over time. This will be important as this pool will be long term. I will leave that up to you to decide but I bet it did feel nice!

That is a load of dirt! Bring on the MUD!!!!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kimkats, it is a huge ile of dirt. Luckily, we're into our summer now so it's going to get very hot - that red clay soil will be a huge rock before too long.

I would prefer to have foam underneath and smooth the bottom really wel too. Hopefully, I'll get time before the channels and bottoms bits of metal go in. It would be hard to try and level/smooth out the ground after that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.