Changing to cartridge -- need help with sizing 18x33 above ground

Hello,
I want to change from sand to cartridge due to too much sand getting in the pool. It's a new 18x33, 54". I have a few questions. I'm currently running a Hayward Power Flo LX 1.0 HP piped up with 1.5" PVC.

1) How many sq. feet of cleaning surface do I need? I want near-overkill here and don't want to wish I had gotten something bigger.

2) Can an in-ground 4-cartridge system work? Something like the Hayward C3030 or a similar Pentair? The input/output fittings are on the same side of the canister on those and that situation works best for my pump/filter location.

3) If I need to stick to single cartridge filter cannister system, what make/model/sq. footage would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for some advice here.

Hi, welcome to TFP
When it comes to cartridge filters, there is no such thing as overkill. The bigger the filter, the less you will have to clean it.

The large 4 cartridge filters will work fine on your pool. I would say go with a bare minumum of 300ish sq feet. If you go bigger, then that's even better.

hope this helps,

absolutely Dave, thank you for the quick response. I'm ready to pull the trigger on one and wanted to make sure there was no reason that it wouldn't work for me. Dave, will my 1.0 hp pump keep things moving in a large 4-filter cannister?

- - - Updated - - -

Dave, what about the Hayward SwimClear vs the Pentair Clean and Clear? Know anything about those pro/con?

Mike,
your pump size is fine. No worries at all. Just dont be surprised that with a very large filter, the pressure gauge will read lower than you might expect. Don't worry though, thats normal and its because the larger filter has less restriction of water flow through it.

Both the Hayward and Pentair filters work equally well. I prefer Pentair because I like the fit and finish better than the Hayward and I like the pentair air release valve better than the Hayward one. It just seems more robust to me. I have the Pentair CC 420 and love it.

I have the Pentair Quad DE 100 and couldn't be happier. Water is extremely clean and it's very easy to maintain. As Pentair says, the clarity of DE with the convenience of cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't backwash mine anymore. I simply tear it down twice per year. So in that sense it's a lot like an oversized cartridge filter with the added benefit of DE filtration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.