Pump timer for above ground pool

cancow

Mar 20, 2016
LaVernia, Texas
I have been having issues with the pump not coming on when the time turns it on, it's 5 months old. It throws the CB. I have to take the back cover off turn the shaft and the cycle the governor. There is no rust or any binding of the motor. Once I do this it usually starts right up. I took it to the pool store and they replaced it but said that the pump is meant to run continuously and not be on a timer. I find this hard to believe does anyone know more about this?

It sounds to me like your CB is too small for your pump. A single-speed 1.5 hp pump typically needs a 20A CB. When a motor starts it draws significantly more current than when it's running; that's why your work around gets the pump running.

With complete name-plate detail (motor, timer, and CB), we could provide a more complete response.

Pool-store employees are not electricians. You're right to question their advice (on everything). (I avoid pool stores like the plague unless they have a good price on something I decided I need.)

Caution: 15A CB circuits are typically wired with wire that can't safely be protected by a 20A CB. Simply changing the CB to 20A likely will create a serious fire hazard. If you aren't super confident about working with electricity, hire a licensed electrician. Your timer is likely rated for only 15A, too. Be very careful.

It is already a 20A breaker. The issue is it usually happens when the mechanical timer turns on or off. If I reset the breaker with everything off and then manually turn on motor it doesn't start, it just hums and stationary. Not sure if it is the pump or not. The run for the wire is about 100 feet. The wire is 12-2 so there should be no issues with wire guage.

Troubleshooting mode:

Is any other load on the circuit? Another load on line simultaneously with motor start could trip your CB, too.

What I would do? -- Wire around the timer (typically with jumpers on bus bars inside the timer); does the CB still trip when you turn on the motor? If not, timer is source of trouble. If CB still trips, trouble is likely either the CB or motor. CB is easier to troubleshoot; install a new one. If it still trips, problem is with the motor.

100 ft 12-2 with ground is OK on a 20A CB.

Sounds unlikely this is a problem with the breaker since the motor is just humming and not starting. You may have too much voltage drop, something wrong with the motor/pump or both problems working together. A hundred feet would not normally be a problem, but that assumes you are coming from your main panel with 12 gauge wire directly to the pump receptacle within that hundred feet. If you are taking power from an outbuilding or a receptacle located somewhere remotely on your property that is already some distance from the panel, then using another hundred feet of extension cord you could have a problem. Operating a motor with low voltage will create added heat and can damage the motor over time. The best way to know for sure would be to test voltage at the motor with the pump running.

Saying the pump is designed to run all the time is ridiculous. Your timer is only turning it on once or twice per day and many hours apart. This would make absolutely no difference if you were doing this with a timer. Of course your timer must be adequate to handle the amp draw created by the motor or it could also add to the problem.

A hundred feet of wire would be about the limit for a full 20 amp circuit using 12 gauge wire, any more distance would really need stepped up to 10 gauge wire. Highly unlikely your pump uses the full 20 amps so that also adds a little more capacity assuming it's the only thing on the circuit.

It is already a 20A breaker. The issue is it usually happens when the mechanical timer turns on or off. If I reset the breaker with everything off and then manually turn on motor it doesn't start, it just hums and stationary. Not sure if it is the pump or not. The run for the wire is about 100 feet. The wire is 12-2 so there should be no issues with wire guage.
Welcome to the forum.

Also troubleshooting.....

What did the store replace? Just the motor, or the entire motor/pump assembly?

Could you please tell us the make & model? Is it 110V or 220V?

When you tried to turn it on manually, how are you doing that? Are you using the switch in the timer, or is the timer bypassed?

This is how all of it is set up. From the house there is a dedicated 20 amp breaker which runs out to some trees for outlets. These outlets have have white LED Christmas lights plugged into them. from there it runs out to the pool. The LED lights come on in the evening in which the pump is already running. The pump starts around 10 am, so when the pump starts there is no draw on power from any other outlet. Also the lights draw so little power.

When the CB trips I turn the timer off, reset the CB. Go back to the pool and turn the turn the timer's manual switch back on and if it doesn't start right away I turn it back off. Turn the motor manually and exercise the governor and try again. Usually 2-3 tries gets it going.

The motor is 112 V. Check this site, this is what it looks like whole unit looks like: ClearWater II D.E. Standard System
filter_clearwaterIIde_stand_banner_640x2333.jpg

This is the timer I use:

Intermatic T100 Series 40 Amp 125-Volt SPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch with Indoor Enclosure
Model# T101D89

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.