Rule of thumb on liquid chlorine

Mar 21, 2016
texas
This summer I switched to liquid chlorine - I pour the 1 gallon 5% concentrate from the dollar store once weekly, 3 gallons if shocking is needed. I have liked the less vacuuming, etc. I want to try Minyards stores, has a deal for 1 gallon 12.5% strength for $2.99. Pool is 15k gallons, used about once/twice fortnightly by 2 people, location is Texas. I am wondering what is the general rule of thumb for the amount to pour for both 12.5% and 5% concentrations, how often and what summer, winter variations if any?

Jay,

The whole point behind the TFP process is measuring your pool water, and then, using that data and "Pool Math", determining what action needs to happen and how much of what chemical, to add.

Unless you know where you are now... it is hard to determine where you need to go or when you get there.

Pool Math (Link at top of this page)..

What test kit are you currently using to test your water?

Jim R.

A full gallon of 5% chlorine bleach in your pool adds, at most, 4ppm FC. Considering most pools consume about 2-4ppm per day due to sunlight loss, your pool would have zero FC in it for most of the time between chlorine additions or simply be maintaining what ever low level of FC there is. Without accurately knowing your stabilizer levels (CYA), there is no way to know if this amount of chlorine is sufficient. This would leave your pool open to algae blooms and poor water quality. As well, there is no reason to "shock" a pool regularly if you follow the methods taught here. TFP does not operate on "rules of thumb's" here...that is what the pool industry uses. TFP operates on exact and specific information that is obtained by using a professional grade test kit. All of the chemical additions to pool water should be based on solid information, not guesswork.

Adding liquid chlorine only is certainly the right way to go BUT, as Jim said, if you are not regularly testing your water then you really have no idea what is in it and how much chlorine, if any, to add.

Your next step should be ordering one of the high quality, professional test kits that are recommended by this site (you can get them from many different vendors online) and learning how to use that to guide your pool care decisions. While it may seem burdensome at first to constantly test and adjust your water chemistry, in the long run it saves time and money. Leaving chemical additions up to guesswork is a recipe for a green & cloudy pool with lots of time wasted on trying to get it under control again.

A full gallon of 5% chlorine bleach in your pool adds, at most, 4ppm FC. Considering most pools consume about 2-4ppm per day due to sunlight loss, your pool would have zero FC in it for most of the time between chlorine additions or simply be maintaining what ever low level of FC there is. Without accurately knowing your stabilizer levels (CYA), there is no way to know if this amount of chlorine is sufficient. This would leave your pool open to algae blooms and poor water quality. As well, there is no reason to "shock" a pool regularly if you follow the methods taught here. TFP does not operate on "rules of thumb's" here...that is what the pool industry uses. TFP operates on exact and specific information that is obtained by using a professional grade test kit. All of the chemical additions to pool water should be based on solid information, not guesswork.

Adding liquid chlorine only is certainly the right way to go BUT, as Jim said, if you are not regularly testing your water then you really have no idea what is in it and how much chlorine, if any, to add.

Your next step should be ordering one of the high quality, professional test kits that are recommended by this site (you can get them from many different vendors online) and learning how to use that to guide your pool care decisions. While it may seem burdensome at first to constantly test and adjust your water chemistry, in the long run it saves time and money. Leaving chemical additions up to guesswork is a recipe for a green & cloudy pool with lots of time wasted on trying to get it under control again.
Great post and if you follow, life will be good.

And Jay, testing your own pool is quick and FUN, and you will be able to keep your water balanced and safe, meaning you spend more time in your pool and less time on it. Trust us, get the test kit and let's mad scientist this thing!

After some reading on here I have now realized that I need a new knoweledge based on TFP if I am going to have a TFP.
@kellyfair "mad scientist this thing" sounds like great fun so I am getting a kit so that I can take my pool back (yeah from the throws of the local pool store that is)

Before the kit gets here I had the water tested today at a local pool shop, here are the numbers.

RESULTS ...................................POOL Store balanced levels
----------- -----------------------------------------------------------
Chlorine - 5 ...............................1-3 ppm
PH - 8.0 ....................................7.4-7.8
Total Alkalinity - 40......................80-120 ppm
Stabilizer - 70 .............................30-60 ppm
Calcium Hardness - 690.................200-500 ppm

Where do I need to go?

P/S
I am also curious to know any opinion/s if the pool store balanced levels are proper targets?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.