Another newbie with questions

Jun 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Hi,

We purchased a house with a pool late last year and had a company close it. I've decided to try to manage the pool myself. This is my first pool.

I pull off the cover a week ago. The water is light/medium green. I can't see the bottom of the deep end. For the last few days I've been trying to vacuum the pool while I waited for the testing kit to arrive. I just got the TF100 kit today. Here are my numbers:

FC - 0
pH < 6.8
TA - 30
CH - 70
CYA - 45

When I did the chlorine test, the water did not turn pink. I then did the Taylor chlorine test and it was clear. So I'm assuming I don't have any chlorine in the water.

I've gone to the Pool Calculator and know what I need to add to get the chlorine to shock level (add just under 6 jugs of 6% bleach). So my first couple of questions (I'm sure of many):

1) Should first worry about getting the chlorine to the right level and then bring up pH and TA?

2) I have no history on how the pool has been maintained over the years. So I opened up the sand filter to see what was in there. The sand is just covering the bottom tube. According to the manual I need about another 6 inches of sand. Do worry about this now, or is it fine the way it is?

Thanks.

I do not know about sand filters...

Your pool need chlorine to control the algae growth...need to raise the TA with baking soda....then retest the pH and add borax to finish adjustment on the pH...the bleach and baking soda will all raise pH a little...simultaneous with this...add CYA to your target level (I would start with 30 for now)

Keep your FC at shock levels (brush and vacuum daily) until your water is clear and FC holds overnight... :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP!

You need to bring up your PH as soon as possible. Since TA also needs to come up, it is best to use soda ash/washing soda/PH Up. Alternatively, you can use a combination of baking soda and borax. Either way it should be done soon.

You should also be adding chlorine as soon as possible. Chlorine and PH can be done in either order.

More sand should be added, but you can run the system for several days the way it is now without any significant problems. The water may not get as clean as it would if all the sand was there, but it won't hurt anything.

Well, I wouldn't try to add two different chemicals right at the same instant, but yes you can do them "at the same time". There are some interactions the require a few restrictions now and then, but none of them apply here.

Hi areefer,

I suggest you adjust your pH and TA before you shock your pool.

You should ignore pH readings during shocking as the high FC level will make the pH test read a false high.

Congrats on getting your TF100 test kit. :goodjob:

Welcome :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.