Second thoughts on heat pump in N Florida

We received our pool docs back yesterday to submit to the HOA and there was a mistake so I'm using this time to ask questions about heat pumps vs gas. We live north of St. Augustine and were going to do a heat pump as several friends with gas for their spas admit to not wanting to re-fill them due to the cost. We will have the I-Link setup for our iPhones to pre-heat the spa etc. Anyone in our region have any opinions on this? Gas may be cheaper initially (except for tank purchase etc) but heat pump does take longer. Our spa will be 7 ft. Heat pump cam heat pool but I doubt we'd use that feature a lot except during school holidays...it's worth any price to keep our three seven year olds swimming and having fun in the pool!!! Thanks for your input, I love this forum!!!!

We decided to go with a heat pump in Orlando. Same rational, cost of adding propane tank, refills and don't mind the extra wait time when I have automation. Got the idea from a neighbor in the community who heats her spa year round with a heat pump. When temps drop to 50's it will take about 40 mins to get the spa above 100. If you don't mind the extra time to heat and your electrical rates aren't through the roof, a heat pump is a viable option for FL. :)

Same here. We are going with the HP because our home does not have natural gas or propane. We are mostly going to use it only for the spa and are going the automation route as well. The extra wait time isn't a big deal to us, especially when the warm south Florida temperatures help the effectiveness of the HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pools still under construction, so don't have any real figures to share. There are past threads that calcuated the monthly operating cost of HP vs propane if you want to get an estimate.

My neighbor was anticipating a higher bump to the electric bill with just heating the spa. Heating the pool is a different story. :)

Didn't install solar as we were already past budget.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.