Shock prior to closing ?

Feb 9, 2015
Jackson, TN
This summer we had our vinyl liner replaced. The literature that came with the Tara Liner states "do not shock prior to closing". It recommends avoiding using Trichlor at any time and never allowing the FC > 5.0. I have used the TF 100 test kit for a couple of years now so my water chemistry is good. I am concerned about only adding algecide prior to closing and not shocking also. What do you think?
20X40 vinyl liner in ground, SWG, T100 sand filter in West Tennessee. I use a smartmesh pool cover. thanks in advance for your help.

This summer we had our vinyl liner replaced. The literature that came with the Tara Liner states "do not shock prior to closing". It recommends avoiding using Trichlor at any time and never allowing the FC > 5.0. I have used the TF 100 test kit for a couple of years now so my water chemistry is good. I am concerned about only adding algecide prior to closing and not shocking also. What do you think?
20X40 vinyl liner in ground, SWG, T100 sand filter in West Tennessee. I use a smartmesh pool cover. thanks in advance for your help.

I would follow the directions and not shock. Just add the polyquat 60. Just close late and open early. No need to take a chance if there is a possibility it could hurt your new liner.

Unless your version of liner has a specific clause voiding it's warranty by "shocking", I'd call it poppycock--------which it pretty much is anyhow! They obviously don't have a clue.

It could be that the manufacturer is referring to powdered shock, which could settle and not mix properly. Liquid Chlorine mixes well pretty quickly. In my experience, the Poly-Quat 60 algaecide also will consume the chlorine pretty quickly. I doubt the liner will be damaged at higher chlorine levels. It appears that Tara Liners uses this as a pawn to either VOID warranty claims or the company has another agenda. These days, liners are made of descent quality, especially if manufactured in the USA.

I think Catanzaro is right. Most "closing kits" contain powdered junk... If you are within the correct FC/CYA range, you should be just fine.

I go to shock/slam level, add polyquat, wait 24-48 hours, raise FC back up to slam/shock, then close. However, I also wait until my water temperature will stay below 60 before I begin that.

I couldn't tell from your post if you were thinking of closing soon. It is too early in your climate.

I went on the Tara Liner website and read the warranty. There is no mention of under 5 ppm chlorine levels and not to shock. I would call the manufacturer because maybe the brochure is a recommendation and not necessarily for the warranty. Adding a lot of chlorine over time will fade the liner, which is not covered under warranty. Powdered Shock that is not dissolved will also cause bleaching on the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.