Pool drained, now refilling. Now what's first and second on chemistry balancing

Gigem94

Gold Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hi experts, I had a high cya issue (maybe 140) and I drained about 70-80%. Now I'm refilling and I'd like to know what to focus on first, second, third, etc. Refil is coming from city from my three hose bibs. I'll test as soon as it gets fill but curious what I tackle, in what order. Appreciate the help. Will post numbers as I get it filled. I've never done a drain and refill so I don't know how long it's gonna take.

Re: Pool drained, now refilling. Now what's first and second on chemistry

The order we ask for test results is fine, it really isn't important, which is why it isn't specified anywhere

FC - Free Chlorine
CC - Combined Chlorine
pH
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
Borates - (if you are using borates)

I recommend tackling pH first, then CYA, followed by FC/CC. Then TA and CH.

Post up those numbers and we will go from there. It really depends. If your pH is out of whack, that's going to be your first priority. Let's see where you are. Please add that you have a K-2006 to your signature.

Refill done, I've got pump circulating, here's the numbers:

FC 4
CC - less than .5
pH - 7.5
TA 130
CH 170
CYA b/w 40-50

I plugged my numbers into pool math and looks like I need a little bleach, some soda ash to get the ph up, and a decent amount of calcium chloride (used troublefree #'s as the baseline). What do you advise I do now and in what order please?

Oh, and as for how the water looks, I'd say maybe a tiny bit cloudy with a hint of aqua green. I can easily see to the bottom (5ft at max depth), it's just not that sparkly blue and clear like I'm used to. I'm sure chemistry will get me there.

I would use a CYA value of 50 for poolmath and get your FC up to 6 first. I would leave your pH alone for now, it's fine. Yes to the CH.

You could try an OCLT tonight to see if the cloudiness/green is due to something in the water and go from there.

When I filled mine from scratch from city water hose bibbs, I concentrated on FC and circulation with a cautious introduction of CYA, which you already have. Filling took a total of ~30 hours (about three calendar days at ~10 hrs/day), so keeping growing things from gaining footholds because of inadequate chlorine was my goal. After fill, I added in other testing and balancing to achieve swimability and stability.

20160605_193724.jpg20160605_193731.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.