Child Fence in Grass/Soil

Jun 22, 2016
FL
Has anyone seen child fences installed into the grass/soil/landscape instead of concrete or stone decking? Can it be done? Is it frowned upon structurally?

We'd prefer to not wrap the fence fully around the pool, but our yard layout does not allow for us to cut off access from only one side. One idea we had was to install a fence around two sides of the pool and continuing the fence to the end of our property lines and into our aluminum fences. This would effectively "corner" the pool in with the fence but would allow the fenced in area to still feel very open inside the fence. It would also save us on the amount of fence we would need (2 sides vs. 4). But we would need some of the fence to run beyond our travertine deck and into our grass/soil.

Thanks for the help!

Regulations on pool fences vary from state to state and even city to city, it is best to check your local code requirements

Thanks, Isaac. Since we have our entire yard fenced, we are not required to have a child fence around the pool. However, with a 2 year old and 6 month old twins, we want one. When reading requirements for pool child fences, there is no requirement that it be in a pool deck (paver, concrete, stone, etc). I just wasnt sure if it was possible/reasonable to run part of our fence in the grass/soil.

Reactions: Staceyleah22
I'm running into this same question on my pool now.

From what I can tell there are three options:
1) they make pool fences that have a filled bag that lays next to the fence to support it (they look hideous to me)
2) Dirt spikes are cheap online. They are just rods that go 2 feet in the ground. It's only as strong as the dirt it's in. In Austin, we have solid rock so I'm seriously considering this option for its simplicity. (Note; can't do this with the gate part)
3) Post holes with a bit of concrete like a normal fence.

I think 3 is the best option, but I'm getting quotes now. One fence guy said it wouldn't be much more to do the concrete posts, so hopefully that works out. The other 2 guys I've talked to don't do concrete at all. How you can call yourself a fence installer and not be able to do concrete posts is beyond me.

Thanks, this is helpful. Yea I would definitely go concrete route as well for the post sleeves. I haven't seen this done before and not much comes up in my research. I am concerned with what it will look like coming off of our travertine patio and into the lawn but it would make it so much easier to open and close the pool fencing without it going completely around the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "baby fences" won't satisfy barrier codes.

Pool acces from the house is a bug peeve of mine. A soil install will not be provide a solid barrier, as the post cups are about 4 to 5" deep, for lateral support a pier or beefy concrete block is needed.

Baby fence are quite pricey & laborious, often permanent fencing is less money.

i installed a fence from diypoolfence.com earlier this summer. At first I was going to install in the dirt using dirt spikes they sell. For one thing, if you go this route, don't buy their dirt spikes. It is just schedule 80 pvc cut into 2 foot lengths. But, I abandoned my plan for a soil install and just drilled all the holes in my concrete deck that surrounds the pool. It was clear to me after seeing the setup that not only would it be much more secure this way, it would also look better because the tension between panels would be less likely to loosen.

DIYpoolfence claims the dirt spikes are really only for when you have to run a fence over landscaping or something for a pole or two. I tend to agree with them on this now. I'm not saying it's not possible to do a full dirt install, but I do think you'd be much happier with the product installed in concrete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.