pool fencing laws

Jun 1, 2009
Okay, I don't know which section to post this in, so I will start here and hope the moderators move it if they feel its in the wrong spot! :oops:

We just recently bought a intex metal frame pool (15' x 42"). Our yard is not fully fenced and I know we need to rectify that. Since it's a "temporary" pool, are the rules any more lax? Can I get away with a more temporary-style fence? I hate to invest huge amounts in a fancy pool fence when we may only keep it for a year. Please, don't flame me, I know it's about safety and that concerns me as well. Right now, I'm just keeping the cover on and the ladder put away when we're not using it. Obviously this is NOT enough. I'm aware of that. Every story sells these inflatable and metal frame pools now. Does everyone have a pool fence? Is it a case of look-the-other-way until there is a horrific accident? I don't intend to start a debate. :blah: I just need to know what to do!

Can anyone advise me on inexpensive fencing methods? We're located in Linn County, Oregon. Does anyone know the laws here?

Thanks so much!
Karen

Welcome to TFP!!

It's my understanding that with an AG pool no fence is required on the yard, as long as the steps aren't in or are made inaccessible. If you have a deck it must be secured as per IG rules (4' fence with self closing gate)

HOWEVER : since the passage of the 'Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act' :evil: - all bets are off and you should check with local officials to see if you are in compliance of the new nuisance pool law :grrrr: :rant:

Edited for language. JasonLion

AG, IG, makes no difference i massachusetts. Need a 4 foot fence, with an autoclose gate. Some states only require a fence around the ladder of an AG pool if the pool wall is over 4 feet high. Call the building inspector for your town, he/she will know.

Wow, that screen enclosure looks pretty awesome, but I don't think it would meet our state laws. I talked to the building inspector (as someone suggested above) and it looks like we need a 4' high fence with a self-latching gate. I guess I'll have to call a fence company.

Thanks everyone. Any other suggestions would be welcomed!
Karen

I live in the county (Georgia) and you do not even have to have a fence around an inground pool. The only requirement with an above ground pool is if the deck is 30 inches or more above the pool you have to have railing at least 30 inches high. All of this varies from state to state and county to county. Different laws in different states. Here you can add electrical without a permit but must have a permit to put a roof ove a deck or porch.

Susan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.