filter pump

Sep 8, 2016
Kilgore
We bought our neighbors intex above ground pool. it's the standard 15ft 4ft deep. We were able to get it set up without difficulty. it has a salt water pump as well. We are having issues with the filter pump. it turns on only for a few minutes than shuts off. We have reset it (which turns it back on for about 2 to 3 minutes) than shuts off again. we have released air from the pump several times, and I have fixed the skimmer to make sure it was not clogged or connected wrong. please help.

Is the on/off switch the type with 3 positions, ie. always on, off, and timer? Does it have a model number printed on it anywhere?

Hmmm, I guess it doesn't have one. When it is running, is it pumping water into the pool? If not, my guess is that it's overheating and the thermal protection is shutting it off. It needs water moving through it to keep it cool.

You say above that you also have a salt water pump. Do you mean a saltwater generator? You don't have two pumps connected, do you? Perhaps if you could attach a picture, it would be helpful.

yes it is pumping water into the pool. on the low port of the pool I have the skimmer connected to suction than to the top port of filter pump. I than have the filter pump going to an intex saltwater system, from there water is discharged back into the pool. we are just starting up, and was in the process of sanitizing the pool. I have the salt water system turned off, but I tried turning it on also, and the filter pump runs properly for about 5 minutes, than shuts off. I release air, and reset the pump. it turns on again for about 5 minutes and shuts off. this is my first pool so I have no clue what I'm doing. :(

If you have to release air each time it shuts off, it sounds like there is a suction side air leak. Once it gets primed and starts pumping water, there should not be any air in it.

Check the o-ring that goes around the lid on the top of the filter and make sure it is seated properly and isn't pinched or kinked.

If you have a bad GFCI, you can replace it. Or if the socket you are plugged into has a GFCI, you can cut off the one on the pump altogether and just put on a regular plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.