Liquidator vs. Stenner

scott.lopez

Gold Supporter
Oct 25, 2015
Frisco, TX
Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: Liquid Chlorine Feeder Options

I realize that this post is over 6 six years old.

Are you still using the liquidator? I've read that you should always add chlorine after the heater and it seems that the way the liquidator is piped that it's adding the chlorine before it goes into the pump. It seems like that would shorten the life of the variable speed pumps, gas heater and heat pump.

The product is still sold, was wondering if you were experiencing any issues since you started using it.

The product certainly looks like a good way to add chlorine throughout the day without upping the CYA in the pool.

Thanks

Re: Liquid Chlorine Feeder Options

I'd like to know as well. Tp be frank, I'm not convinced that the SWG system is worth the cost based on replacement of the cell- I have gone through my second cell in 6 years. Surely there's a way to automate liquid chlorination in a cheaper way...?

+1 - I would also like to know if the comparative findings for the Liquidator vs SWG hold up. I imagine the SWG to be an expensive upgrade. I'm hoping the liquidator installation to be much more reasonable but someone please advise. If you use calcium-free liquid chlorine wouldn't that take care of the problem with calcium buildup?

All liquid chlorine/bleach is calcium free. It is all differing percentages of sodium hypochlorite which is salt, water and chlorine.

There have been numerous discussions over the years on cost of swg vs cost of liquid chlorine/bleach and it is generally viewed to be approximately the same cost. And that is without factoring the cost of a liquid dispensing system. Another advantage of swg is that you don't have to buy, haul and fill up your chlorine tank.

Well, I just noticed this "hijack" post and a couple of add on questions. It's often fruitless to ask questions on old posts as the original posters are seldom still around to answer.

So -

I have a Stenner pump. To be honest I keep my FC well above the "target" for my pool so I know I'm getting more loss than I probably need to be getting. In the past other TFP members have calculated that the cost of a SWCG and replacement cells as needed is fairly even with the cost of a Stenner plus the ongoing addition of liquid chlorine (in my case bleach from WalMart). I have a 15 gallon tank, but if you figure the suction pick up space in he bottom of the tank, only about 14 gallons is usable. I fill it about every two weeks. it's not empty, it just happens that I'm willing to put up with a visit to WalMart about that often.

I have never had a Liquidtor, but most problems I have seen with it are due to the use of variable speed pumps. Changing the pump speed changes the suction on the tank and sometimes it does not dispense chlorine like you were expecting.

I'd like to know as well. Tp be frank, I'm not convinced that the SWG system is worth the cost based on replacement of the cell- I have gone through my second cell in 6 years. Surely there's a way to automate liquid chlorination in a cheaper way...?

That's on the very low end of acceptable. Most members here get in excess of 5+ years with their SWGs and some have gone as long as 10 years between replacements. This analysis is year old or so, but it shows how SWGs compare to bleach chlorination -

Economics of Saltwater Chlorine Generators

If you're burning through cells as quickly as you say you are, then either your SWG's are undersized relative to your pool volume OR your water chemistry is off OR both. If you add your equipment info to your signature line and you put up a new post in the SWG sub-forum, we can help you figure out why your cells are under-performing in terms of lifetime.

My pool is 6 months old or so. I started it already fully prepared with knowledge of the TFP method. First thing I noticed was, I did not like adding bleach every day. But excellent results!

So I got the 3/8" LQ. Life was better. Excellent results!

But the LQ is a bit finicky, and you do not get the immediate treatment effect that directly dosing with bleach provides. Hmm. And actually, it is still a bother to add bleach to my LQ so often with my 30k pool.

I think sooner than later I will get a SWG system. Let the stuff corrode like the salesmen say it will, whatever. Which, if you read this forum regularly, does not happen that fast. To me, trouble free means trouble free, and SWG seems to be the answer.

Of course, I will install the SWG and discover new tasks I have to do. There is no free ride to pure, blue water it seems. But my goal is to be as trouble-free as possible.

SWG cells are getting better, some have up to a seven year warranty, 15k hour life cycle. We'll see if they will actually last that long. But by purchasing an oversized unit, the actual running time decreases dramatically and the price difference doesn't have to be that great. If you want full control automation from your phone while at the office, then the price can ramp up substantially. That will be the case for any system. Gotta pay for your toys... To me, the whole point of TFP methods is to be able to find the operational sweet spot and just let it work. Sure there will be storms and power interruptions, but they will have a similar effect regardless of the equipment. Having a pool IS a luxury, but there is no reason that it has to be a chore, nor a budgetary burden. Having to constantly add chlorine either manually or to a tank seemed more of a bother than I wanted. The swg just made sense to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.