I added 2lbs of dry chlorine to my 10,000g last night. I came up with 16ppm a few hours after. Today it was down to 12.5ppm. I was told if the chlorine doesn't hold over night, I should have my water tested for phosphates.
So I brought my super duper water sample to PAP to test for phosphates. Test was negative. Then he told me that my chlorine was only 3.5ppm and no where near the shock levels I thought I had. So I figured I messed up the test and came home to re-test. I came up with 12.5ppm still.
Here are the results of the PAP test:
Stabilizer =CA=tablets right?):50ppm
Do those numbers look good to you guys?
Was the drop in chlorine levels normal, could I have messed up the test 3 times, or is there another problem? He said that algae will drop the levels like that (I only had a few spots smaller then dimes starting to show on the wall) and I need to add more chlorine to shock the pool(even though the algae is gone). I thought it was already at shock levels being at 12.5ppm.
He also told me :
-1g liquid = 3-4 1lb bags of the granular
-I should be going through about 3-4 3" pucks a week.
-If I have ANY cloudiness in the water, it's algae and I need to shock the pool and add clarifier. (I can see the spray texture on the bottom and trowel marks at night but in the deep end it's not crystal)
Are those statements accurate?
I don't know if A. He likes to hear himself talk, B. He is right. C. Doesn't know what he's doing or D. Trying to move as much chem as he can. If I am right and I am at 12.5 ppm I don't want to add any more chlorine because I want to use the pool sometime so on.
BTW pool is a free form 10,000g free form in ground.
Any input or thoughts would be great!