Shocking With Granular CL in SWG Pool

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I have 2 large tubs of granular tri-chlor. Will I harm the SWG if I add the granular CL through the skimmer? Right now I need to raise my CYA and CH and I'd like to use up at least some of the granular tri-chlor that I have left whenever possible.

FC = 3
PH = 7.7
CYA = 50
CH = 50

I have never used the granulated trichlor but based on my experience with the pucks, I think hot water would dissolve it pretty well. Unless somebody knows it dissolves okay in a bucket of pool water.
--paulr

Just a quick point here: tri-chlor is tablet (or pellet) form and I think we're talking about Di-chlor here. The difference isn't large, but there is one :)

Anywho, predissolve it and slowly pour in front of an active return. try not to let any of the undissolved gunk go into the pool - if there is some in the bottom of the bucket, stop pouring and add more water, mix and let it dissolve before adding it 8)

The label says tri-chlor. Its Aquachem from Lowes. I went ahead and tried to dissolve it in a bucket of pool water but it didn't dissolve well - lots left in the bottom of the bucket. So I just did my old normal routine and poured it through the skimmer with the SWG off. I'll keep the unit off until tomorrow.

Sorry Waste, wish I would have seen your post prior to losing my POP!

I have seen granular trichlor. Trichlor isn't great to use for shocking because it dissolves so slowly. Also, keep in mind that trichlor adds CYA and lowers the PH. Sometimes that is convenient but far more often it results in too much CYA and rapidly falling PH.

JasonLion said:
Also, keep in mind that trichlor adds CYA and lowers the PH. Sometimes that is convenient but far more often it results in too much CYA and rapidly falling PH.

Precisely for those reasons (+ CYA and - PH) is why I decided to use up some of the tri-chlor. My concern was adding it via the skimmer now that I have a SWG. :?:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.