TFP Kit problems

ntobik

Jul 31, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I have the TF-100 kit, it has worked well all summer. I have an issue that I'm puzzled about. My chlorine testing tube has gradually acquired black residue on the sides, and my chlorine power itself has turned black.

I've been obsessive about trying to keep the powder dry, so I don't think any water got in there. I rinsed the tube and scooper after each use as well, but they still turned black. Is this normal? The powder seems to still work just fine even though it's discolored. I need to buy some replacement regents, but I want to avoid this happening again. Any ideas?

I suspect that it's a temperature issue. Most of the time it is recommended to be kept in a cool, dry place. I have mine on a shelf by the door leading out into the backyard.

I have read that some folks have had the darkening issue with the chlorine vial, but I don't remember what they do about it. Sorry! I'll see wwhatI can dig up and maybe someone else will have useful info to offer. :)

Try cleaning the tube with either white vinegar or diluted (5:1) water and muriatic acid.

Humidity will kill your test kit. They should always be kept indoors in a cool, dry place.

I'll bet the black is above the fill line that is your test sample high water mark. I had the same thing happen. It's residue from the powder from when you swirl the sample. I used goo-gone because it's rather sticky. I first tried to just wipe it with a paper towel but it 'bound up' the towel and wouldn't wipe off. I don't think the 'goo-gone' affects my testing at all. I just put a drop or 2 on the towel and wiped with that. It took a fair amount of rubbing, but worked.

Yes, this is exactly it. It's at the high water mark for swirling. Great suggestion on the goo gone. I've tried a paper towel as well without luck.

I do keep the kit outside, I'm guessing it's a temperature issue. I'm going to purchase replacement regents and see if keeping things inside helps.

My only other comment is that I would not use Goo-Gone in the sample tube. I love the stuff too, but it is petroleum distillates with citrus based organics (mostly limonene) in it. It can dissolve certain types of plastics and it will most definitely leave an organic residue on the surface. If you want to try a solvent based approach, use 91% isopropyl alcohol (you can get it at any pharmacy store). Taylor actually advises to use of IPA on some of its hardware components (ex, the Unit Dose Dispenser) as a way of cleaning the item and leaving a water-free and residue free surface. IPA absorbs water and forms an azeotropic mixture which evaporates and leaves no reside.

Leave the goo gone for removing sticky labels and don't use it to clean sample tubes.

- - - Updated - - -

Alternatively spend an extra $2.50 when you get your refills and buy a fresh calibrated cylinder

:goodpost:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you want to splurge some get the Taylor Sample sizer too, the only bad thing about it, is that it only works in the genuine Taylor branded graduated cylinders and they cost about $4.50 each

If you want to splurge some get the Taylor Sample sizer too, the only bad thing about it, is that it only works in the genuine Taylor branded graduated cylinders and they cost about $4.50 each

I LOVE my SampleSizer!! I'm thinking of getting the one designed for 44mL samples as well (2000 series comparator block)

Could you post a link to this item? It would be nice to know where to purchase a 10ml, 25ml, and 44ml sampler.

I know Amazon has the 10/25mL SampleSizer but not the 44mL one. I think you can only get that one from the Taylor website directly.

As Isaac-1 said, they can only be used with genuine Taylor test tubes.

I had the same issue with my FC powder. It got way worse when I left the top off outside in the patio one time so I'm pretty sure humidity caused the issue. I used Bon Ami to clean the cylinder. It did scratch the inside of the tube very slightly but got rid of the black stains on the inside and no effect on the measurement. Also, I purchased a 60 ml syringe (no needle) to fill the test cylinders. It's enough to run all the tests and makes filling the cylinders precisely very easy.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I have used the DPD powder when it was almost black and found it to function normally. Humidity is the cause and it is certainly not good for the powder but I don't think there is much loss of effectiveness.

As long as the powder turns the solution pink (of course, you have to have chlorine in it), the results will be accurate.

Perform you tests indoors. Leaving the kit outside just isn't good for the kit and you will be able to perform your tests in the comfort of your kitchen with great accuracy. I got so used to doing it I could do my CYA test indoors and get reasonable results.

I have used the DPD powder when it was almost black and found it to function normally. Humidity is the cause and it is certainly not good for the powder but I don't think there is much loss of effectiveness.

As long as the powder turns the solution pink (of course, you have to have chlorine in it), the results will be accurate.

Perform you tests indoors. Leaving the kit outside just isn't good for the kit and you will be able to perform your tests in the comfort of your kitchen with great accuracy. I got so used to doing it I could do my CYA test indoors and get reasonable results.

Dave,

It did indeed work as you mentioned. But it still kept staining the cylinder. Since I was almost out I just replaced it. This was definitely the result of operator carelessness and I learned the lesson quickly. I still test outside because of "happy wife happy life" principle. But now I only do the test outside and never leave the kit outside for more than the test time, plus I cap the powder container right after I scoop. So far this has worked fine.

Chris

I mix thje tiniest amount of muriatic acid (about 1/8 cup) with about twice that much water and pour it in the cylinder. The black will disappear before your eyes or will require very little to get it clean. I know the muriatic is troublesome but it absolutely works.

Take that blackened cylinder and fill it with vinegar and leave overnight. I have never done that but I'll bet it will clear the cylinder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.