Pool full of Ectocooler!!

Sep 8, 2016
Mount Airy, MD
We have a 16x24 ABG pool that we just self installed this summer. It has about 11,000 gallons of water. We have a large sand filter. The pool has been perfect all summer until we had rain for 3 days in a row. IT turned a slight green and cloudy. Using just liquid chlorine and algecide didn't work. So I purchased a bag of HTH pool shock. It cleared it and you could see all the stuff at the bottom. My husband went to vacuum it up and had some issues with the vacuum (we are still newbs) and he stirred the bottom up and it immediately turned green again. I attempted to keep the filter running 24 hours again and just using liquid chlorine and algecide... nothing. After 2 weeks I just shocked it again with the same stuff. It turned the color of ectocooler (slime-lime green) I personally never seen a pool be shocked and remain such an odd color of green so at this point im starting to wonder if theres too much chemical or not enough shock?? The tester I have only tests the chlorine and PH levels. I havent tested it since i put this bag of schock in it 2 nights ago but if you need me to, i certainly can. We only have 1 pool store around us where we live and they came off to me as the type of place that just wants you to buy all their very over priced stuff. So Im searching for help elsewhere first. I appreciate it!! :)
20160907_174133.jpg20160907_174127.jpg

Wow, that's beautiful! Relax, you've come to the right place. I'm on my phone right now, so I can't go into a lot of detail, but others will be along shortly to help.

But the bottom line is you need lots of chlorine in that pool pronto. Without a good test kit (more on that will be coming), no one can tell you exactly how much.

But I can advise you for now to add at least one gallon jug per day of the highest % chlorine bleach that you can find at your grocery store. Yes, plain old unscented, regular laundry bleach, not the splashless kind.

Do not add any more powdered shock products - they add CYA that renders your chlorine ineffective and you probably already have too much in your pool. Again, you'll need a test kit to determine that.

Add the bleach daily and run your filter 24x7 for now. That should keep things from getting any worse. Then read the Pool School articles linked at the top of this page and order one of the recommended test kits ASAP. And stay away from the pool store. They will try to sell you algaecides, and it is way too late for that. Chlorine is what you need at this point. The best and cheapest source for that is bleach.

Don't rush in with the chlorine just yet. That could be iron precipitating from your water. (although I really don't think so....just want to confirm it's not)

Do you fill from a well? Have you ever tested positive for iron?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I did go ahead and do the first gallon of bleach last night... When I left this morning I couldn't see the water yet (it was still dark) So I'm interested to see what it looks like when i get home. I have the filter running constant. And I took a picture of the simple PH - Cl test I took last night before I put the bleach in it. Also checked my filter to make sure the PSI were good, all looks well. Keeping my fingers crossed. 20160908_173014.jpg

We are located in Carroll County, in Maryland. So they get the water from somewhere around there I'm assuming. I didnt have any issues maintaining the pool with simple chlorine, algecide and PH decreaser when needed until it rained for 3 days... then it turned and I havent been able to get it back since... :(

We are located in Carroll County, in Maryland. So they get the water from somewhere around there I'm assuming. I didnt have any issues maintaining the pool with simple chlorine, algecide and PH decreaser when needed until it rained for 3 days... then it turned and I havent been able to get it back since... :(
Can you please update your profice and ad MD to your location. It will cut down on confusion in the future. Those of us old Andy Griffith folks immediately think Mount Airy, North Carolina

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I did go ahead and do the first gallon of bleach last night... When I left this morning I couldn't see the water yet (it was still dark) So I'm interested to see what it looks like when i get home. I have the filter running constant. And I took a picture of the simple PH - Cl test I took last night before I put the bleach in it. Also checked my filter to make sure the PSI were good, all looks well. Keeping my fingers crossed.
It looks to me that your pH is off the chart. You need to get that down with additions of muratic acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here you go- you need to do some quick reads here->Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You also need to stop putting algaecide in there. Algaecide is a preventative measure (which we don't often recommend either) and won't do squat to an outbreak.
Algae is inhibited by the presence of the proper amount of chlorine (which is determined by your CYA level). Cheap algaecides often contain copper which will cause you grief with added metals in the water. Do you know if the one you used contained it?

How about testing? You need a proper kit, either the Taylor K2006 or TF-100 all available from Amazon or TFTestkits.net I personally prefer the TF-100.

im no expert
but if I saw that color water and those 2 simple tests I would add acid to bring down the PH and Chlorine to get FC up to 15 or so

All based on the pool math calculator here

also make sure your filter is ok

If it was all fine till it rained
maybe your filter is clogged - backwash ?

Either way your PH is high and your chlorine is low
get a good test kit so you know the REAL chlorine number and stop adding the pool store fixes

They havent helped so far

I did just order a better test kit. Should arrive this weekend. Also, the algaecide I have been using is the powder by Bioguard. I will have to read the bucket when I get home. My goodness, my first summer as a pool owner and I'm already becoming overwhelmed... Do you have any suggestions on a decent line of pool products?? We did originally buy all Bio Guard products.. but maybe they arent the best?

I did just order a better test kit. Should arrive this weekend. Also, the algaecide I have been using is the powder by Bioguard. I will have to read the bucket when I get home. My goodness, my first summer as a pool owner and I'm already becoming overwhelmed... Do you have any suggestions on a decent line of pool products?? We did originally buy all Bio Guard products.. but maybe they arent the best?

Ohhhh honey, you're gonna LOVE the money you're gonna save doing things our way! Did you know that expensive pool store product "Alkalinity Increaser" is just actually baking soda?! Like the same thing you can buy in the Walmart for a ton less! In big bags even!
Chlorine at the pool store is the same as basic, plain bleach in the laundry aisle. Really! How great is that??

While pool stores offer "free water tests" they generally earn a lot off them as they sell you over-priced baking soda....

Which test kit did you order?

I really am learning ALOT between the Pool School section and all of you kind people taking the time to respond to my post! I really appreciate all of this information! Everyone has been so great!
I ordered a 5 way test kit.... It will test for free chlorine, bromine, pH, alkalinity and the acid demand... We were given a container of those test strips, but I've read that they arent accurate whatsoever..?

You need a test for CYA. Cyanuric Acid which buffers the chlorine. You can get this test at tftestkits.com and if the chlorine is not the DPD/FAS test kit get that also you will need it to test chlorine over 5 ppm.

I ordered a 5 way test kit.... It will test for free chlorine, bromine, pH, alkalinity and the acid demand... We were given a container of those test strips, but I've read that they arent accurate whatsoever..?

Stefanie, you don't have a bromine pool ignore that. The 5 way test is a bit inadequate, especially if you have problems with your water. The FC limit on those kits isn't high enough to monitor your FC that is required to fix your little ectoplasm problem. If money is tight I would suggest the TF-50 from TFTestkits.net as it has everything the TF-100 has but in a smaller amount. Easy to order refills as needed too from the same place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.