Sun shelf/first step combo depth

Jun 22, 2016
FL
We are designing a large sun shelf 8x12 that will extend and blend into the first step of the pool off to the side of the shelf. I've read here that 8-9" is a good depth for the shelf, but I think that may throw a wrench into the design for the first step after the additional gap from deck to waterline. What is suggested in this situation to make the dimensions work as best as possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were mine, I'd look at the height difference between top of coping and top of shelf (water depth above shelf plus the distance from waterline to top of coping), and then divide by two to get the step height above the shelf. Probably around 7" or 8"

We set our sun shelf at the second step down. That puts it 23 inches below the surface of the deck and 16 inches below the water surface.

Unlike some designs we've seen where the shelf is effectively the entrance to the pool, the stairs can be used as a standalone entrance to the pool without the shelf in our design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here is a pic of the design of our shelf/stairs combo:

28908392333_3b4813ba8f_z.jpg
[/URL]Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 7.44.26 PM by fsubk, on Flickr[/IMG]

Set as your first step, in my pool that will mean a max of about 12 inches down from the pool deck and covered by about 6 inches of water. Does that sound about right? Seems kind of shallow to me.

Making a water depth of 9 inches would make that first step down somewhere around 15 inches down from the top of the deck. If you have a coping vs my flat cantilevered deck it could be even more.

Set as your first step, in my pool that will mean a max of about 12 inches down from the pool deck and covered by about 6 inches of water. Does that sound about right? Seems kind of shallow to me.
Yes, that sounds about right and exactly my predicament. My design doesnt really offer a good option to make the shelf the second step.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.