Hot tub odeur

Aug 6, 2016
Cincinnati, Oh
So our hot tub has an aroma that is a combination of the vinyl cover and mustyness. Chemically the hot tub is balanced and when I replace the water the smell comes back after a day or so. We cover our hot tub 24/7 except when we're in it. Are there any remedies, potions, elixirs, etc. that will give the hot tub a nice fragrance?

Thanks

My hot tub is over five years old and the cover is on it 24/7, and this time year I'm lucky if I minute once a week. In the cooler months I'm probably 3 to 4 nights a week. I have never noticed any unusual odor. They do make additives that I have used in the past that work nicely. I used them only to check them out and to change things up. They are available pretty much anywhere they sell supplies, I have seen them in numerous places, they are in liquid form normally. But I have no idea why you would have that odor if the water is balanced, have you made sure the filter is clean? How old is the hot tub and how do you sanitize it? Has this odor always been present or is it something new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hot tub is over five years old and the cover is on it 24/7, and this time year I'm lucky if I minute once a week. In the cooler months I'm probably 3 to 4 nights a week. I have never noticed any unusual odor. They do make additives that I have used in the past that work nicely. I used them only to check them out and to change things up. They are available pretty much anywhere they sell supplies, I have seen them in numerous places, they are in liquid form normally. But I have no idea why you would have that odor if the water is balanced, have you made sure the filter is clean? How old is the hot tub and how do you sanitize it? Has this odor always been present or is it something new?

It's (guessing) at least ten years old and yes it has always had this odor a couple days after I change the water. We used Bromine last year but have switched to chlorine via floater. I'm using left over broken pucks till that supply is gone then not sure what I'll do after that, maybe just add liquid.

Bromine has a different odor than chlorine does. Although I don't know what it smells like. I would flush it with Ahh-some and refill it. Then if it still smells use some Epsom salts with whatever flavor you like best. We like spearmint.

I converted my hot tub into saltwater years ago, so I have a saltron mini SWG in it. In any case, if that odor continues, next time I drained it I would probably do a strong sanitizer in it for 24 hours before I drained it. Bump the sanitizer level up to mega levels for 24 hours to make sure you kill anything that might be in the lines. The fact that the odor goes away for a day or so after you change your water tells me it's picking something up in the pump or lines. I would not like having a unknown odor. Have you tried super shocking it ever?

If the smell is from biofilms in the plumbing, chlorination, even at levels well above shock levels will not work. This has been shown in the literature that pathogens can survive in biofilms even when the FC is well above shock levels with no CYA. That's the point of a biofilm, it's a protective layer.

You need a surfactant to breakdown the biofilms and that is what Ahh-some is - a super powerful surfactant that breaks up biofilms and enhances the penetration of chlorine.

Hot tub "stink" is pretty common and is typically caused by biofilms on the plumbing. You will be surprised at the scum that comes out of your tub when you use it...and mildly nauseated too.

Thanks for the education JoyfulNoise and pooldv, I had no idea what ahh-some was. Sorry for the bad advice in my post. Not to hijack this thread, but is Ahh-some something a guy should run through the tub now and then? I've never had a problem but I would like to avoid one.

Thanks for the education JoyfulNoise and pooldv, I had no idea why ahh-some was. Sorry for the bad advice in my post. Not to hijack this thread, but is Ahh-some something a guy should run through the tub now and then? I've never had a problem but I would like to avoid one.

An annual flush of the tub plumbing is always a good idea. Even a brand new tub should be flushed initially due to stagnant water that is left behind from pressure testing.

Many people that use Ahh-some for the first time are both surprised and disgusted by the results. Go to the website and check out the video of the spa flush that they do. The brown muck that the guy scoops out of the water is nasty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the cleaning article. How do I know when It's time to replace the filter? We are the second owners of the house, pool, hot tub, etc. so I don't know the exact age of the filter. The pleats are slightly discolored but otherwise in good shape (visually).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.