Help with choosing a pump and filter

Jun 3, 2009
Hello everyone i am new to the forum, i just bought a pool and rcvd it 2 days ago. I have been reading everything possible on this site for the past 2 weeks and have found alot of useful information...After everything i read i have somewhat of an idea of what type of pump and filter i would like to buy just would like to know other opinions....At the moment i have a 12 x 18 above ground pool which is supposed to hold approx 4500 gallons i was thinking on purchasing the Hayward Power-Flo II 1/2 HP Single Speed Pump and a Hayward Star Clear Filter 25 Sq Ft 1-1/2" Ports...i have read that its good to have a dual speed pump for cleaning, etc...just would like to know if i should purchase a dual or single speed...i want to keep the energy usage low on the pool....Any input would be appreciated and thank you all for the great info that has been posted here.

logik...first of all are you correct about your pool size gallonage...4500 gallons on your pool would mean it had an all over depth of 2.8 feet or so. Most pools that size are 1 deeper and 2. hold more water than that unless you are talking about an intex quick set pool then I could see that being avearge depth. If all you are talking about for sure is 4500 gallons of water, then the 1/2 horsepower pump would be ok to run with just the one speed...however, I think that if you are talking about more gallons say double that to almost 10 K gallons...then you might want to go a little bit more powerful but with a two speed. So you can move water if you want to, but you can leave it running longer on the lower HP setting to keep cleaning without too much elecricty being used while running...Also you would want to look at one with a timer IMHO, this makes it so nice to just set it to come on and no that it will shut off 6, 12 or 18 hours later. Other than that I don't think anyone here really has a preference over brand...mostly what it gives you as far as versitilty. Good luck...let us know what you decide.

Thanks for your quick reply the pool isnt an Intex its a Beechland 12 ft x 18 ft and 52" depth but it didnt mention how many gallons it holds...i completely overlooked the fact of getting a pump with a timer that sounds like a great idea and i think it will be alot easier to upkeep the pool. As for the filter do you know if that size would be enough i read some people on here suggest buying a little bigger than needed when it comes to filter but that might be preferance and do you have any suggestions for a pump with timer?

logik33 said:
Thanks for your quick reply the pool isnt an Intex its a Beechland 12 ft x 18 ft and 52" depth but it didnt mention how many gallons it holds...i completely overlooked the fact of getting a pump with a timer that sounds like a great idea and i think it will be alot easier to upkeep the pool. As for the filter do you know if that size would be enough i read some people on here suggest buying a little bigger than needed when it comes to filter but that might be preferance and do you have any suggestions for a pump with timer?

I would get a recommendation for something that will adequately filter a 7000 gallon pool which is what your pool turns out to be...actually about 6900. But something that is going to turn your pool over at least 2-3 times in a 6-12 hour operating period...I would just look around and ask around here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.