Wind Underneath Winter Cover.

Grumpy611

Bronze Supporter
Aug 27, 2013
North Babylon NY
Dealing with this issue for the past few years.I thought I would throw this out there(if it hasn't been already).

For AG pools, how exactly is the wind getting underneath the winter cover in the first place? The cover is draped over the top rail and secured with multiple clips, cable winched, hanging jugs, water on the cover etc..... the wind must be getting in underneath where the top rail meets the top of the pool sidewall. So unless this space is filled, wind will always make its way in, no?. Thoughts? Very frustrating!

I agree-the uprights will create gaps, same as the wrap does as well. You can even see it in the pic when you open up the above link. The wind just needs an opening here and there and then the cover becomes tent city.
The practices that I've used so far(clips, water bags, jugs, etc) has merely prevented the cover from blowing entirely off the pool-they have done nothing to prevent the wind from getting under the cover in the first place.

As crazy as this may sound, what I plan on doing is applying rope caulk underneath where the bottom of the top rail meets the top of the sidewall-this is where the gaps are. This will be done from the outside of the pool. The gaps are only about 1/4 inch wide and in some spots less than that. I don't plan on going crazy with this stuff-just enough to fill the gaps without spillage into the pool. The rope caulk is non hardening, moldable, and can easily be removed if need be. I intend to continue to use the cover-loc jr clips. I will report my findings as the season progresses.

As promised, here is an update. I decided against plugging up any gaps under the top rail. What worked for me was buying a new winter cover with a 3 Ft overlap instead of 4 Ft., which I had been using all along. The smaller cover fit tightly all around (7 inch top rails) which prevented any flapping. I kept the water level high (2/3rds up the skimmer hole) by using a skimmer plug. I have never used an air pillow, nor did I leave any standing water on top of the cover (I have an automatic pump on the cover) Lastly, I used a combination of 4 Ft and 8 Ft. single chamber water tubes around the entire inside perimeter of the pool. These were secured by tying them to the winch cable. This past winter, the wind never got underneath the winter cover at all. The wind gusts were as high as 45 mph, and not once did the wind made it underneath the cover! Problem has finally been solved for me. Hope these suggestions can help others with this same wind predicament.....

I'm curious where you live? We have huge wind problems before the pool and cover finally freeze together, so I put a ton of water on top of the cover which works until I have to pump it off again after rain/snow starts pulling the cover deeper than the pool water level and pulls on the side walls. So your solution sounds like it could work for me too, just wondering about ice expansion if that would be a problem at all not using a pillow. It would be nice not to have to refill so much in spring, like I'm doing now (tiny amounts every day because we have a well).

I live on Long Island, NY. 2+ inches of water on the pool cover never worked for me. The wind lifted the entire cover along with all the water. I have never used an air pillow. Ice expands upwards not sideways. We get wind chills below zero-the pool is a frozen block of ice. The water tubes and smaller cover are the only things that have ever work for me.

Hi grumpy611,
Would you happen to have any pictures of your winter setup? It sounds interesting.
The cold temperatures this summer have me thinking about pool closing asap and last year we struggled with the typical high wind issues.

Thanks!

Here you go:

Tips:

* Water bags are 2/3rds filled to allow for ice expansion.
* Place the bags on the cover first before filling them-too heavy to lift.
* Be diligent in removing all water from top of cover as the bags do add weight onto the cover.
* Maintain water level in pool to avoid the bags putting excess tension on the cover winch cable/top rails.
* I do not place a bag by the skimmer to avoid pressing down the ice in that area.
* Bags are loosely tied to the cover winch cable to avoid unnecessary tension on the cover winch cable.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. This method works for me in dealing with high wind problems-the wind never gets underneath the cover.
Cover clips didn't work-they have all blown off once the wind gets underneath. Hanging jugs onto the winch cable never worked either. I have never tried the plastic wrap because I like to check the water level under the cover periodically to gauge for leaks, etc.
Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.