Proper In-Line Chlorinator Location ?

Apr 30, 2009
I have some doubt as to the location that my Hayward CL-200 in-line chlorinator is installed. I have a spa/pool combination. The pool is equiped with a Polaris Caretaker cleaning system. The pump is a 2HP that discharges through a Sta-Rite 58D1100 DE filter, then through a Sta-Rite SR200A LP gas heater. After the heater the returns come out of a manifold that can feed water to 1) wall jets in the pool, 2) the spa, which overflows into the pool or 3) the Caretaker system. To keep sufficient pressure for the Caretaker system to work, I have to divert the bulk of the flow through it. The chlorinator is mounted in the line that returns to the wall jets. Is there any problem with mounting it prior to the manifold so that it would chlorinate all three parts that return water?

It is currently installed correctly. You don't want it chlorinating the spa because it would provide way more chlorine than you want in the spa when the system is on spa only mode. You also don't want it feeding the in-floor system, though this is less important. The in-floor system has moving parts that can be annoying to fix, so it is best not to expose them to the higher than average chlorine and lower than average PH water coming out of the chlorinator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.