New Saltwater Vinyl Pool Owner - Etiquette Questions..

Sep 7, 2016
Jackson MO
What kind of "rules" do other pool owners have? Without sounding "mean" - We do not want glass around the pool - Babies in the pool without a swim diaper - We would like the Guest to pick up after their selves - To respect and take care of the pool - Especially if they ask to swim while we are not home? How to say No to someone always wanting to use your pool? Our pool just got finished last week and we have made a lot of new friends since. lol
Any advice/hints/tips appreciated. Thank you.

Just be straightforward and "firm" with whatever rules you decide on. If people don't respect you enough to honor your wishes then they can go to a public pool.

Our rules are simple. No glass within the fenced pool area, our two pool swimming golden retrievers have "right of way", and have fun. People that I invite into my home are sensible so I expect that they will behave in a (somewhat) safe manner.

There is only one person I've let use our pool without us there in 4 years. She's a fit older woman and life long friend. I don't expect too many issues with that.

If someone were to ask (which they haven't - maybe they know me too well) I would say 'for insurance purposes, we don't allow anyone to swim unless we are home'. We do however, invite people over A LOT.

No glass within the fence (our pool is separately fenced). Only dive from the board. Don't step on tiled wall (wall that joins the cover vault). Don't step on the automatic cover reel. And no Mr./Mrs. grouchy pants allowed.

Regarding cleaning up after oneself when there without the owner - if you have to have a rule for that - I don't have much to say. :D

I have kids and I would still not let anyone have their kids swim in my pool without me being present. Unfortunately, we are a litigious society, and I would hate to think what would happen if there was an accident. Best to be safe!

We haven't had too many people asking us to use our, but we've been intentional about inviting people over. I've seen some cute and some formal looking pool rules signs on pinterest, and I hope to get or make one for next year.

Our rules: No running. No diving/headfirst. No peeing in the water, no glass on the pool deck (we don't consume alcohol, and very rarely anything else that would be in glass bottles, so this is easy for us), and no kids in the pool without an adult supervising them. When we had a swim party where babies were invited, I specified no regular diapers, and that if they needed them, I would supply swim diapers.

Previous owners clearly had glass by the pool, as we keep finding broken bottles and other debris hiding in the rocks and glass by the pool. So another of our rules is: wear shoes on the grass.

I have no plans to let anyone swim in our pool without us there, but I could imagine an exception for trusted family members - none of whom live near enough to use our pool.

It's a liability concern, to me, to have people using our pool without us being there. In general, I don't trust other people to take care of my stuff the way I want it cared for. I personally have no problem saying NO to people. It's my stuff, my rules, and if you abuse it, you loose it.

Ditto to most of what everyone already posted. We did have a situation where an out of state family member brought their baby with no swim diaper. I just crossed my fingers for no poopy accidents and then raised my chlorine level for a couple of days after that with no issues. Only close family members would ever be allowed to swim with us not home but my husband might want to argue with me if the situation ever arose. So far it hasn't. We do try to invite our pool-less neighbors over if we see them sweltering in their backyard. I also tried the "no glass" rule but my husband overrode that one. We don't have any craziness going on around the pool so the occasional wine glass or beer bottle hasn't been a problem.

Set things up so that following rules is easy. Set up a safe spot to be the bar, and all drinks get brought there- have a bottle opener and a sleeve of Solo cups there and that's just how it is. We got a dozen bright plastic tiki cups to make it fun. Cleanup can be easy, too: give them somewhere convenient to toss the stuff. Something at the bar for bottle caps and other debris, and something bigger either in the pool area or near the exit for plates and other trash.

When you're using your own pool then you'd be happy to have guests and it's just neighborly to let the kids on the street in when your kids are swimming, but it's not a public utility. You don't owe anyone your pool and it's downright rude to expect you to start hosting a non-stop pool party. For the particularly pushy, you can mention that there are some pretty nice pools for a couple hundred bucks and they won't have to worry about your schedule.

Ditto to most of what everyone already posted. We did have a situation where an out of state family member brought their baby with no swim diaper. I just crossed my fingers for no poopy accidents and then raised my chlorine level for a couple of days after that with no issues. Only close family members would ever be allowed to swim with us not home but my husband might want to argue with me if the situation ever arose. So far it hasn't. We do try to invite our pool-less neighbors over if we see them sweltering in their backyard. I also tried the "no glass" rule but my husband overrode that one. We don't have any craziness going on around the pool so the occasional wine glass or beer bottle hasn't been a problem.

We have a few plastic wine glasses, and a lot of plastic insulated mugs. I much prefer my beer two at a time in my insulated mug - it stays colder a lot longer than even a single brew in a bottle. I enforce the no glass rule pretty strictly - it's not about getting crazy, it's about someone bumping into something or an accidental drop - having to try and get all of the glass out of a pool is horrible, having to pull it out of your foot is worse!

Rules have been hit pretty well above. We don't allow anyone in our pool without us present for the same reasons above, feet first jumping for the kids only, and only in the deepest spot, swim diaper required (not that they really help much to be honest from a bacterial/viral standpoint, but it helps not to have to fish out logs), and even if in the swim diaper, if there's a code brown, it's SLAM time (only happened once this year thankfully). Also no running. :)

How long out of the pool for a log roll after bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When people with kids come over the first time we tell them rules in a friendly way like - "We only have a few rules - no glass, no running, one person on diving board at a time, no diving/jumping in shallow end, where the bathroom is,..". When only adults are over, I really don't mention rules at all unless they break one. If they come out with a glass, I will tell them about no glass, and go get them a replacement. When we have a larger group coming, I will put out plastic cups (and the little round color stickers with a pen so they can mark their cup).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.