confused...brown murkey water

dody

Jun 27, 2015
jenks, ok
Hey! had a gorgeous pool just a few days ago. missed 48 hours of keeping up on my chlorine, and an algae bloom started. had the green cloudy water. no worries, i tested and made adjustments, kept it at shock level for 24 hours. i tested the water and had it at shock level last night at 11pm. this morning the water is murky brown. ick! tested for CH, and it was still at 16. it held overnight, but the water is nastier. i will keep on keeping on, but want to make sure there's nothing im missing. we've had staining issues in the past, and wondering if the metal is back in the water, and not on my liner. does that make sense? i've got a craptastic cartridge filter, and i'll just keep letting it run, but the brown is throwing me off my game!

CH- 16
FC- 0
TC- 16
PH-7.5
CYA- 40

Hey! had a gorgeous pool just a few days ago. missed 48 hours of keeping up on my chlorine, and an algae bloom started. had the green cloudy water. no worries, i tested and made adjustments, kept it at shock level for 24 hours. i tested the water and had it at shock level last night at 11pm. this morning the water is murky brown. ick! tested for CH, and it was still at 16. it held overnight, but the water is nastier. i will keep on keeping on, but want to make sure there's nothing im missing. we've had staining issues in the past, and wondering if the metal is back in the water, and not on my liner. does that make sense? i've got a craptastic cartridge filter, and i'll just keep letting it run, but the brown is throwing me off my game!

CH- 16
FC- 0
TC- 16
PH-7.5
CYA- 40
Brown water could certainly be iron in the water.

Can you elaborate on your test results? You say you are SLAMming, but show zero FC (free chlorine). Also, how did you get a calcium hardness (CH) of 16ppm?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Which test kit are you using?

sorry, bad combination of dyslexia and lack of caffeine..... ive got the talor kit. here are the correct #'s with the proper letters assigned to each.

C-16
CC-0
TC-16
TA-120
PH-7.5
CH-100
CYA- 40

that looks better, eh? and yes, i am slamming, and the test really didn't turn pink after adding the 5 drops of the reagent. that aslo has me a bit confused....

and the test really didn't turn pink after adding the 5 drops of the reagent. that aslo has me a bit confused....
You still have it mixed up. The FAS/DPD chlorine test turns pink and it does so by adding powder (R-0870) to your pool water sample.

Slow down and make sure you reread the directions on how to do the tests.

When was the last time you cleaned the cartridge in the filter. What is your current psi? What is it when the filter is clean?

cartridge was cleaned on monday. psi is 11, it's never gone up or down, that's where it always is, but we clean the filter a minimum of once a week. i'm so sorry i'm confusing everybody, i'm realy not trying to be :). when doing test for chlorine, i filled the cylinder to 10, add the powder, get's bright pink, i added 38 drops of the 1st solution (871) when it went clear. added 5 drops of the R-003, and it did not change color at all, not even a hint of pink.

As I mentioned above, I found CC results to be highly unpredictable. CC doesn't tend to follow a linear shadow of FC as one would expect. If it never shows up, I'd be suspicious of the data somewhere along the line, such as bad reagent: inaccurate FC or CYA result etc.

Are you brushing like a crazy person? Go insane with your brush, or go insane with algae!

yup! vacuuming once a day, scrubbing a couple times a week, unless i get sick (which is what lead to this prediciment) ;) I will go by what the water looks like, instead of relying on that part of the test. If it's green/brown and cloudy, it's algae, right?! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something, as I'm somewhat new to this method of pool care.....which i love, btw. thanks all, i'll just keep on keeping on!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.