First test

cjpwalker

Silver Supporter
Sep 1, 2016
Yakima, WA
Taylor k2006 arrived today. It was an exciting day - the auto cover was installed today, and my "Welcome to our OOL" sign arrived, too :D.

So, for my first test:

FC = 4
CC = 0
pH = 7.8
TA = 140
CYA was right about 20. Basically filled the tube.

For the CYA I figure I'll just keep using the Chlorine tabs that came with the pool until it creeps up to 30. Not sure if I'll get there this season - the builders couldn't start until July, and we've only been in the water since the last weekend in August.

Do I need to address the TA? What happens if it's too high? Pool School says pH will tend to drift up, but to counter high TA you just lower pH and aerate the water. Sounds like it if I keep everything in check it will work itself out over time...

Also - do I need to address metals? I haven't personally tested the water, but looking up the county's numbers for our system the only thing that showed up is copper, and the highest test was 0.1.

The pool came with a Nature2 Fusion mineral sanitizer slash trichlor feeder. The 1 month starter cartridge is still installed as I haven't had a chance to crack it (the cartridge) open and empty it out. The cap isn't a cap, it's a collar, so the cartridge has to stay in. I did see another thread about this. I'll leave the unit piped in so that I can throw tabs in for vacations, etc...

I'm digging the resources here, and I think it will help me get off to a good start. Pool school is great, and the Pool Math calculator is awesome - somebody put a lot of effort into that - thanks!

You need to dump the Nature2. The trichlor is ok for the rest of the season, I'd check the FC/pH often and the CYA once a week though.

You are correct about the TA, unless your pH is rising quickly there isn't anything you need to do, adding acid will lower both and you will likely find a happy spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.