Fence guys broke a water line. Need help!

Sep 6, 2016
Florence,Ms
Hi, Today the fence guys broke a water line (we think it is the skimmer line but not sure). We plugged the skimmer holes but each time we remove the water from the hole, more water pours in and we can't repair the line. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this issue? We just bought this home 3 days ago and we know nothing about pools. Help is much appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! There should be a valve at the equipment pad that you can close that will stop the water from from draining back to the pool.
Thanks for the response. We cut all the valves off to the lines. Is there a shut off valve to the pump or filter? We have turned the pump off. How many gallons of water do you think is on 75 feet of line? The hole they dug to get to pipe keeps filling with water....

The plumbing might be acting as a siphon, if you open the strainer lid on the pump and let air in you could break the siphon and stop the water flow. Without knowing more details of your setup we are guessing though.

Assuming it is the skimmer line, then I suggest you either plug the skimmer(s), or drain the water in your pool below the skimmer(s). In my mind it seems like the water in your pool will just keep filling the hole, where the broken pipe is, because it is lower than the pool level. I think they call it gravity... :p

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.