how to tell what Voltage the pump is running on?

Jun 10, 2016
Southeast Missouri
I have 1 HP Pentair Challenger High flow pump that is rated 115 / 220V, amps 14.2/7.1. how can I tell if it is running of a 220 circuit or a 110 circuit?

It has a circuit breaker outside by the pump. There is another circuit breaker in the electric box in the pool shed that also turns the pump off and that circuit breaker is a 220 circuit. so I am assuming it is running on 220 V.

What would be the advantage to connect this pump to 220 v instead of 110V?
I am also assuming it costs more to run the pump if it is connected to 220V circuit?

Based upon your description, it sounds like your pump is running on 220 volts. If the circuit breaker that is by the pump looks like two circuit breakers side-by-side with a little bar between them, then for sure it is set up for 220 volts.

There is no real practical difference in electrical costs to run a pump at 220 volts vs. 115 volts.

Jim R.

The only real advantage is saving a bit on wiring cost. Wires are sized by amps not by volts, so running at higher voltage and lower amps (amps x volts = watts) So running at higher voltage, and fewer amps allow for the use of smaller wires which are cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.