Is this Mustard Algae - Above Ground Pool?

JD880

Jun 20, 2014
Wayne, NJ
Hello I attached a few pictures, especially of my above ground pool steps, which I think may be the cause of problems. I have a 24' Round above ground pool with a 1.5hp Hayward Sand filter. I have a constant algae problem, past 2 years, I can do a SLAM and get it cleared up only to come back a day or 2 later and the floor of the pool and ladder is covered in what may be mustard algae? I may have a circulation problem since the return jet is on the opposite side of the pool from where the steps are, but I was told this filter was more then powerful enough for a 24' round pool.

I attached some pictures, tried to do a close up on the ladder. My water is generally clear except for the bottom of the pool which is a constant mess. I originally thought I always had general green algae but looking upclose everything looks brown. Take a look, please help me determine if this mustard or some other type of algae. Thanks!

20160906_182708.jpg20160906_182635.jpg20160906_182640.jpg

You definitely appear to have some organic staining. Whether it's MA or not is hard to tell. I suspect some of it is not as the staining is on a surface(s) exposed to sunlight. Regardless, the treatment required is still the same - passing a SLAM. Keep in mind that ladders are notorious of hiding algae, so your best option may be to remove the ladder completely so that you can inspect it thoroughly if possible. I don't see much specifics, but your comment about the bottom being a mess may also be contributing to the problem. Your filter may be sufficient for the pool filtration in general, but remember it has next to no bearing on algae control - that's strictly a chemistry issue. Not sure how you are testing your water or what your current readings are at the moment, but with the proper FC/CYA ratio you shouldn't have a constant algae issue. You're welcome to post a full set of numbers with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit if you would like and we'll give it a review.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.