DIY Indoor & inground pool near Vegas

Yes, that sounds about right (I run an FC of 3.5 with CYA of 30ppm or FC of 3.0 when CYA gets down close to 20 ppm) and is the general range I run my indoor pool at. Generally I adjust my CYA to 30 ppm and let it drift down from there to about 20 ppm then boost it back up every 6 months or so. I typically test CYA about every 3 monhts CYA does break down slowly in a chlorinated pool, however this is usually overwhelmed by rain overflow and splash out in an outdoor pool.

I don't recall which test kit you have, but the K-2006 view tube will only read CYA down to 30 ppm, vs the TF-100 which will read down to 20 pppm, but uses much more reagent per test. If you have the TF-100 CYA view tube you can see that the scale is logarithmic and 30 ppm is nearly half way down the tube from the 20 ppm mark.

Of course all of this means avoiding use of stabilized dry chlorine products which will add CYA and just using liquid chlorine / bleach for chlorination.

I have been using Trichlor skimmer sticks in the automatic feeder and in a floater. I understand that over time they will cause CYA to rise. Right now my CYA is zero, TA is high (200), and pH is constantly rising. I've been adding a quart of acid about once a week to bring pH down from 8.0ish to 7.6ish. So understanding that CYA will help lower pH and TA (which is exactly what I need) I think I will continue to use the sticks until I can get a reading of CYA. Once it gets to 30 I will switch from tabs to liquid chlorine to manage. Am I on the right track?

Oh.....also....I tested for CC this morning and for the first time it showed about 0.5 ppm. Is that anything to be concerned about? There has been almost no swimming over the past 10 days.

That is ok, although I would suggest keeping count of the trichlor you have used and calculate the volume of your pool in gallons, then plug those numbers into the pool math link above and it should give you a good estimate on your true CYA level. As to the rest, don't worry about .5 ppm CC it is common for pools to cycle back and forth between 0 and .5 CC

Trichlor is only slightly acidic compared to MA, so you will probably need to work more on getting your TA down, but you can do that slowly over time.

Ike

Here is a link on how you can get your TA down. It is like a PH yo-yo. Push PH down to 7.2 with MA, aerate the water (can you make your return hit the top of the water and make it "roll"?) to push the PH back up to 7.8. Do this over and over until the TA gets down to 80 or so.

After you get your TA down to 80 you will watch your PH to see if it holds better. If it still pushes up fast you can take the TA down to 70. You will find the sweet spot for you TA and PH. Every pool is different so you will have to keep good records to see what is working for your pool.

:kim:

I finally finished the platform. Now to get this BEAST in the water. Got a friend coming over with a forklift tomorrow. This thing must weigh 600lbs.

20161003_145331_zpsxlapcvli.jpg

Once the weather got cold, so did the water. I had installed some solar heating panels on the roof, but just not enough of them to keep the pool warm through the winter. So installing the platform went to the back burner for months. That finally changed this week when I got help from a friend with a forklift. The water temp is now a toasty 86 degrees so it wasn't difficult to get me in the water to set the platform. So, it's in. And it's great! The kids absolutely love, love, love it.

Here are some pics of it installed.

20170506_130333_zpsecb5gn83.jpg

Reactions: Kat_TN

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep adding panels. From what I've read the standard is 60-100% of your square footage. Being an indoor pool, I'm sure mine would be closer to 100%. I started at 40%. It warmed the pool but not enough. I bumped up to almost 60%. It was a lot better but still not enough. I'm at almost 80% right now and it's nice and warm. It has also been hot outside so that plays a factor. I wish I could keep it warm enough to swim year round but that might be a pipe dream on solar. If it can be done, I'll do it though since we live in southern Nevada and get over 350 days a year of sunshine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.